window motor

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Since I have the doors off the car anyway, I figured it would be a good time to clean up window runners and gearings in order increase the speed.

I used a 12 volt battery pack to raise and lower the windows to get them out of the way and spread around the lubrication.

This worked fine for the first window which moved up and down as I reverse the polarity of the wires going into the motor.

The second window does nothing. It doesn't jump or attempt to move either way. The contacts spark but nothing else.

The runners have been cleaned out, but I need a way to unfreeze the window. I've heard something about a window tool of which I don't have.

Any hints/tips/suggestions would be very appreciated.

steve in reno

Reaction score
I have only seen pic's of the window tool.
Have you tried using your finger to move the plastic gear when hitting the window lift button? If it moves at all this will free it, then adjust stop so that it doesn't go to far next time.
If you see a spark then there is juice. The window motors can be opened up and cleaned also. The gears inside have the same old lube for 30+ years and get slow and gummed up.
Remove motor and see if it will spin without attachment to the window.
I do have original replacement motors if needed.
steve