window rubber repair?

Reaction score
I have purchased the rubber pieces that attach to the rear windows and mate with the front door windows. Can someone help me with the correct way to replace the rubber? It seems that the chrome piece needs to be removed.....gently. If someone has done this before I would apppreciate some tips.
Thanks

Yes, you need to remove the chrome pieces and in doing so you will bend them (at least I did) and then be required to buy new chrome pieces-- they are still available.

Safe removal of anodized trim piece on 1/4 window

Take paint stirrer and gently tap end with rubber mallet along inner and outer edges of trim piece in direction of windshield--this will prevent damaging the piece unless someone has glued it in place--not the thing to do. If the piece doesn't move try a single edge razor blade between the seal and glass along both sides--then tap again. If you do find that it has been glued--be sure to remove all the glue residue before installing the new seal.

There is also a correct way to install the seal. If replacing both sides note there is a left and right seal--hopefully you have the correct one--then place seal on window in correct position with pointed tip going into the notch of the big seal--there is a slight amount of extra length to these seals but wait until all is in place before trimming the excess off the bottom--then slip trim piece over the seal--next--push the little locking seal into the small groove in the trim piece. If done correctly, all parts will stay in place without any adhesive.

I have successfully done this on several coupes as well as when frequently replacing seals on the BLUMAX over the years. HTH

chrome strips

Be careful, the chrome strips are only available for one side only, believe me I know...

Back