Window tracks and gears.

Rex Kapriellian

Reaction score
In an attempt to make my windows go up and down smoother and faster, I’m cleaning up the tracks and motor gears, What type and brand of lubricant do you guys use for or recommend for the window tracks And gears?

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rex,

I have several tubes of "Superlube", and it is my 'go-to' lube for a lot of jobs that require grease, including the window track refurb I did a couple of years ago.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
No affiliation, but here's the Molykote product finder book. Based on easy descriptions, you can find what you need. I had to go to a professional shop to purchase.

I purchased Molykote G-4501 for the tracks, and reading the descriptions it'll lube just about anything other then engine and roller bearing.

Attachments

• Molykote smeermiddelen product finder.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 175

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jesus,

I am 10K km from home, and don't have access to the tube. I have a good friend who is an automobile mechanic and a sailboat captain. This grrease is the only one he uses for essentially all those items that need a greasy lube on both his boat and cars. Extremely impervious to water, including seawater.

More info here:
www.superlube.com

Gary

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Jesus,

I am 10K km from home, and don't have access to the tube. I have a good friend who is an automobile mechanic and a sailboat captain. This grrease is the only one he uses for essentially all those items that need a greasy lube on both his boat and cars. Extremely impervious to water, including seawater.

More info here:
www.superlube.com

Gary
thank you Gary

Mark Jarman

Reaction score
I found this YouTube video by our MB cousin to be a good overview on lubing windows.

In summary you use three different lubricants - a molly grease on the gear sprockets, a lithium grease on the internal metal tracks, and a silicone lubricant on the black rubber seals and window track felt.