Windows finally a SUCCESS!!

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd like to express my sincere thanks to all the members of this Forum who offered their advice, suggestions and experiences in response to my oft misguided, ignorant and annoying questions. Thank you for your patience and kind assistance.

After about 4 weeks, I finally got all 4 window switches to work and all 4 windows to successfully open and close. The rear windows have never opened in the 15 years I've owned the car, and for some reason the previous owner had cut the wires going back to the rear windows. Go Figure.

Thanks again. I never could have done it without you.

jmackro

Reaction score
Congratulations! Now that you have them working, my advice is to keep exercising them. Operate the windows ~weekly, or the lubricants will gum up and they'll stop working again.

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mostly the switches.

Once I figured out how to re-connect the cut wires, getting the 6 switches connected correctly was really what solved the puzzle.

Little tips like knowing all 4 switches need to be connected in order for any of the rear windows to work was crucial.

What really hung me up was the layout and numbering of the switches and wires on the wiring diagram as compared to the actual switches. You really have to pay attention to the numbering on the switches (and not so much what the switches look like on the diagram). It was a week before I caught it.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yeah, the location of the switch numbers on the diagram seems to have been determined based on how to make the diagram look good (and fit into a smaller space).

taylorcom

Reaction score
I learned that the switch wiring is important in the mid-'80s when I imported my 3.0CS from Milan, Italy. The windows had originally been manual, but we'd had them converted to motorized before shipping the car. So the windows worked fine, but moved very slowly. I took a switch out and for some reason, moved the wires to different connectors on the switch, and suddenly the windows moved up and down much faster! Moral of story: getting the correct wire on the correct connector made a big difference.