windshield trim removal

gatorgum

Reaction score
Man, going back through all the posts for info takes a lot of time, especially when there's nice images from unrelated topics involved.
I'm in the middle of slowly dismantling one of my (parts) cars and I want to make sure I don't wreck anything. I see potential problems in removing the chrome trim around the windshield and back glass. After sliding the little cover over, what is the best way of getting the trim off? Slowly lifting it from the rubber from the end? or does it 'pop' off in any form. Also, if it does slowly lift, can it be straightened again very easily?

One more thing - since the car has no battery, has anybody here been able to get at the little screw that sits on the opposite side of the rear side wood piece with the rear side glass up? I may have to try to somehow lower the glass using another battery if need be but I'm wondering if the glass can be removed BEFORE the piece of wood.
Lee

Cut the rubber windshield seal away. Unless they are fairly new, they won't be usable anyway and they are a lot cheaper than the aluminum trim and glass.

Remove the steel piece the wood trim is attached to and you can easily remove the wood trim. If you want to remove the glass, you are going to have to lower the glass and remove the whole regulator-glass assembly.

With the careful use of a 1 inch putty knife I was able to remove both the front and rear windows from the bucket by getting the inside lip of the seal over the frame. Once you get +/- 1/3 of it over the lip gentle pushing got them out (have an assistance ready)

Unfortunately about a week after removing them the windscreen cracked as the stresses were relieved :roll:
Malc

Back