Windshield/Windscreen and molding

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
What is the latest and greatest source for a new front winshield and the rubber gasket for front and rear??

Also, anyone from Boston/New England have any experiences and recommendations for an installer?

Thanks in advance.

Shawn

Reaction score
I did the whole job last year as well.

The best source for all the parts is the dealer OEM as Chris mentioned. The big plus is that you can inspect all the parts before you leave the dealership!

The Al strips, holders, glass and rubber.

The scary part is finding a good installer you trust.

Good luck and you will love new glass on your coupe.

steve in reno

Reaction score
I also had a new front glass installed last year.
Purchased front and rear new seals from Bimmer doc.
I paid a local glass company $300 for new front glass, and removal and install of front and rear glass. They had to hire a person to do the "rope in method" for the install.
Glass company did a cold call to my business looking for sale and install work for company truck.
I did call bimmer doc to insure that the glass # was correct for the cs.
I also had a friend from my antique Honda forum do a sand and polish to the front and rear trim pieces, that came out excellent. Better than the new factory parts that I still have. Cost $150.
I saved enough on the cost of the glass that it paid for the rest of the project, to include the cost of wood veneer.
The project was started with the removal of glass for my dash refinishing.
It all just fell together.
SOOOO nice when a big and expensive project all comes together.
Very happy with the total cost, and especially the finished product!
steve

nimble_n_quick

Reaction score
Steve, would you be willing to share (via post to this thread) your Honda contact that did the trim refinishing, and elaborate on the process? I think many on this board would appreciate a cost-conscious alternative to the new piece.

P.S. How is the re-polished piece holding up?

steve in reno

Reaction score
I assisted in the sanding of the trim parts. Larry did the actual polishing. He is very good.

You must sand off all of the chrome plating and polish the underlying aluminum.
The time to finish a piece was only approx 30 minutes.
Larry is a guard at Folsom prison and rebuilds antique Honda motorcycles for fun and to make some extra $.
He has rebuilt many carbs for the forum members.

I will ask him if he is interested in doing more of the trim, but I wouldn't hold your breath. He has many brands in the fire and not sure of his time.

The parts he polished have been handled during install. I cleaned them up well with alcohol and coated them with Zaino's clear coat. That was over a year ago and they are looking as good as new.

HTH
steve

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Speedway Metal Polishing (Dan, 714-542-7778 ) in Santa Ana does this and applies a clear ceramic coat to protect it afterwards and cost is very resonable. The belt trim is under $350 for all 7 pieces. He does window trims too and paints the original wheels and Alpina alloys the correct silver as well.

Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score
There is some guy in Andover, who has posted here, who has a front windshield

laldog:

You are fortunate to be located in Massachusetts - the "go to guy" for classic glass here in the States is Richard Tankel at ProSource Glass in Andover. He can be reached at: 978 975 5400 or [email protected] Crating and shipping windshields is expensive so if you can pick up yours locally you will be way ahead.

Ask Richard about competent installers in your area (hint: anyone who doesn't know that the aluminum trim goes into the rubber before the glass/rubber/aluminum assembly gets installed into the body is NOT competent).

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
E9 Windsheilds

BMW only? You know I am lucky to have a good friend in the salvage business. Just for kicks, what does BMW want for e9 windshields now? Might be cheaper to order two windshield from www.wallothnesch.com skip the insurance part, and hope one or even two make the flight or journey by slow boat from Europe?

oldcoupe

Reaction score
re the suggestion that you order two windscreens from Walloth & Nesch and skip the insurance:

I had a very frustrating correspondence with them about a $20 max part- post was about $47, from memory, with insurance, so I said skip the insurance and use a regular post padded bag for maybe $5. They refused. I had a German friend ask them in German in case they had misunderstood - they said no. I phoned (from Australia!) - they said no.

PaulinPa

Reaction score
I don't know W/N record with shipping fragile stuff but I do know that my local BMW dealer has a hard time getting in sheet metal that is not damaged.

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
Shipping glass...?

I guess it goes without saying, you ship something from Europe or Japan, and still somehow the stuff gets damaged. I have had two bad experiences with International shipments recently from both countries of which I least expected this to happen. I have lost all faith in that regard! Unfortunately glass is not a option on a overseas journey in my near future I'll stick to the salvage yards here, and or trust that my machinist can fix it! Since it's German you can usually rebuild it in most cases say up until about 1987....