Windshield wiper arm attachment repair

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looking at the cost of new wiper arms these days and reading stories of wipers flying off, I decided to try and fix the little lock tabs which are supposed to keep the arms on the spindles. Mine had lost tension and not holding them on at all. No leverage can be had to bend them back in place.

The fix was to gently tap the rivet that holds the clip in the assembly with a die so it flattens back down and puts tension back on the clip in the right direction. This is not enough to repair it completely because it is a weak rivet so I then layered some epoxy over the rivet and filled in the bottom area cavity where it attaches and just up slightly on the clip itself but not enough to keep the clip from flexing. If the rivet doesn't respond then just secure the clip against the edge where it should be and fill with epoxy as above. This could also be used as a preventive measure if your clips are still working (for now).

Dried overnight and then I mounted the arms just half way on its spindle so I know where it will fall on the windshield, adjusted accordingly so they are parallel to the hood then pressed on all the way. The clip now keeps them from coming off without a screwdriver to press the tab back away to release. I don't know how many on/offs it will hold for, but seems to work well enough to keep these priceless objects on the car.

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting approch, I am having to fix mine as well, allthough I am trying something different.
My cast blocks (the bit that goes onto the splined shaft) were in a really bad way, so I carefully removed the spring clip and have had the block re chromed, I have bought a M3mm tap and 2 tiny M3 x 4 cap screws that I plan to re attach the spring clips with (i have re bent these into shape so they grip the shaft better), theres not a lot of material to screw into in the block so I will have to be very very carfull, one little slip and I will poke the drill out the top of the freshly chromed block!!

Steve

Last edited:

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Newly chromed block ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343538853.619907.jpg

You will notice the big hole, this is where I drilled out the pivot hole for the wiper arm as it was very worn and sloppy, drilled out for new brass insert
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343539050.427671.jpg

So when all assembled you will see the SS dome head screws, these hold the arm on
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343539284.875813.jpg

And the clip inside that holds arm onto spindle, this is held in place with a M3 x 4 SS cap screw
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343539518.116401.jpg

And clip screwed in place

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343539705.230343.jpg

Should all work well... I hope?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Impressive, my satin ones don't look that thick? I could not pull off that tapping job so I'll just hope my epoxy holds - so far so good.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I tapped mine and used a small machine screw. You are right there is not much meat to tap into. It has held so far.