WIndshield wiper motor removal

Bwana

Reaction score
My wiper motor still works but sure makes some good growling sounds when in operaion. I'd like to remove it, clean it, and grease everything up. I've seen deQuincy's excellent thread on cleaning and greasing the gears but there's no description of the removal and installation.

I assume the first step is to remove the blades? Might be a challenge, I think the last guy lock-tighted them on the spline.

Anything to look out for? Anything I should mark for re-installation reference?

61porsche

Reaction score
The motor- remove the center linkage nut, then the three bolts. Can't remember if you have to remove the heater cover but thats about six small nuts and bolts.

Since you're going that far, the whole linkage can come out to check the pivots/ bearings or at least grease them up.

http://www.e9-driven.com/Public/Library/BMW-E9-Manual/pages/en/61611610.html#refertoc

The rest is just to set the blades at rest.

Before that I'd suggest you amp the motor to see if it's in distress.

If they're wobbled out maybe some shim stock and grease. Be careful with the pivots- I don't know if they're available. Maybe someone else found a source?

Bwana

Reaction score
Thanks Jerry, that's exactly the link I couldn't find. Looks pretty easy as long as I/mechanic didn't use Loc-Tight on the splines. Using heat to loosen them up is a touchy business

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
do not forget that you will need a small extractor tool for removing some of the parts

the small arm that is fixed to the motor is usually stuck in its place, so after undoing the hex nut you will feel like it is soldered to the axis, the extractor will free it away

same thing when you go through the other two pivoting axis in the blades, not easy for me to explain which part it is the one that needs to be extracted, is the cylindric head on top of the axis that engages to the wiper blades (t is not flat surfaced, it has tiny longitudinal channels on the surface, well that part needs to be extracted too

do not try to force it with screwdrivers or similar, remember if you break it is NLA !

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
The growling noise coming from the motor is probably one of the permanent magnets crumbling or coming loose from the case housing. Happened twice with motors in my coupe. If the magnet is loose and not crumbling, you can epoxy it back in place. If crumbling, you're due for a replacement case (i.e. find a good used motor....)
Also, taking the motor apart is relatively straight forward, but the motor has three brushes (not the usual two) and getting them back in place on re-assembly will test your patience. Good luck, and have a beer or two...

Bwana

Reaction score
How to clean?

Everything looks OK except for the 40 YO grease and rust ;) . The magnets appear to be in good shape.

So how do I clean this all off? I've got a tank washer but is it OK to simply dunk the whole assembly into the solvent? I also have a blast cabinet, can I blast the inside of the motor without tearing up the bearing at the bottom?

I also figure I can take the rotor out of the upper frame and touch up the copper on the armature with fome fine sand paper.

The wipers work (they were running when they stopped :lol: ) so there are no electrical issues.

Suggestions?

P9300037.jpg

P9300041.jpg

P9300042.jpg

61porsche

Reaction score
No parts washer. You can use electrical cleaner. Don't dose it though.

But clean off the rust. From the looks of it, that's what was grinding. I'd use a dremel and a fine wire wheel. A little clear laquer/ shellac to slow up the process. Easy does it.

Just dig out the old grease and repack the best you can. There is some electrical cleaners out there but for the life of me it's been 20 years ago, then you have to let it sit and air dry for some time.

Look for the cut out contacts and clean those up a bit too. Stay away from the resistors- those little curley cued wires. They get real hot and brittle under use.

Bwana

Reaction score
do not forget that you will need a small extractor tool for removing some of the parts

the small arm that is fixed to the motor is usually stuck in its place, so after undoing the hex nut you will feel like it is soldered to the axis, the extractor will free it away

same thing when you go through the other two pivoting axis in the blades, not easy for me to explain which part it is the one that needs to be extracted, is the cylindric head on top of the axis that engages to the wiper blades (t is not flat surfaced, it has tiny longitudinal channels on the surface, well that part needs to be extracted too

do not try to force it with screwdrivers or similar, remember if you break it is NLA !

Spot on as usual, thanks! I had to use my "puller" (English for extractor) to remove the arm.

And yes, I found the pivoting axis I think, I assume they are these:

P9300049.jpg

P9300047.jpg

P9300045.jpg

Is there a method of cleaning them?

What is the best type of grease to go back together with all this? Wheel bearing grease (heavy), or something like bicycle white grease (light)?

BTW, I washed more 40 year old $hit out of the center bore than I could believe!

P9300044.jpg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hi

the pivot axisthat i meant are the ones that can be also seen in thta pic, the aluminium ones that fit into the wiper blades, if i remember well you need to dissasemble them for accesing the main axis cylinders for cleaning and regreasing the inside of those

as to the other pivot axisi that you present, no doubt it is very risky to try to dissasemble for cleaning, so i used a light oil spray to loose the dirt and a cloth to clean while moving them in every direction to access the most part of them

regrease those ? not sure if there is a real need for a grease as it is a metal-plasitc frcition, the light oil spray will do for a while, otherwise i would use a castrol red grease that is compatible with plastics and rubbers

here at least is available online by promapac in the uk

regards, and continue that way, you are doinggreat !