Windshield wipers are on and wont turn off, need help, advice??

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
So my windshield wipers suddenly turned on and would not turn off so I took out the fuse. Anyone else experienced this problem? Any advice on solutions? I hadn't even tried to turn on the wipers, they just started on their own. The switch position makes no difference.

Tundra

Reaction score
First, verify that the wire connections at the wiper motor are secure. Then do the same at the switch. Do the other functions work ie; slow/fast /intermittent speeds? If all is fine, then it could be the switch itself.

jmackro

Reaction score
Yea, mine used to do that too.

You have the switch on the column which you push in to turn off & on, right? If so, try pulling the end OUT, and then pushing in. That would do it on my 2800. Eventually I replaced the switch.

The other possible cause is the relay that controls the "wipe twice after spraying water" feature. My relay used to kick on the wipers for a couple of swipes every time I hit a bump. Yours may just be stuck on permanently. It is one of the can-shaped relays above the hood release handle. Just unplugging it will cure the problem (though of course, the wipers will no longer come on automaticly after activating the sprayer).

gwittman

Reaction score
I have gone through this problem and replacing the entire switch/turn signal assembly seemed to solve the problem for a while but the problem came back. I drove the car for several years with the fuse out. I am one who likes to have everything work and even though I don't use the windshield wipers, it bothered me that they did not work.

I finally took the wiper motor out and disassembled the parking mechanism on it. I cleaned and deoxidized all the contacts in there and sprayed a lube on them that provides oxidation protection. I then repacked with grease and reassembled it. The fuse has been installed for around a year now and the wipers do not come on unless I turn them on. I did get a scare once when the wipers came on all of a sudden but I was able to turn them off with a push of the button. I thought back on what I was doing and it seems I must have accidentally bumped the wiper button when reaching for something.