Wing Mirror Fitment

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used rubber rivnuts for my mirrors after I replaced the door skins. Feels robust enough.

8EEE47BB-FD9F-460C-96DA-2EE78ECFCBCC.png

pat cooks

Reaction score
the BMW cage nuts insert from the outside and turn through 90deg. not hard to do, I thought the backing plate was welded to the top of the inner frame and just hung against the outer skin,
if it is missing I don't think it is a problem with manual mirrors as they are not at all heavy, but I think you could slide a backing plate up against the skin if you welded a strip to the bottom so it formed a T or just made a new larger backing plate that would stick out the bottom of the gap, it is quite possible to make those holes with a set of needle files after first drilling a correct size hole in the correct place, I would recommend a practice first,
Pat

damienh

Reaction score
Thanks Pat. Yes you're right, they seem to go in from the outside, my mistake, I see how they work now. Regarding the plate, I think it would work fine without needing to be welded as these nuts would hold it in place, it follows the contours of the door skin nicely.

But there is no opening to insert the plate, I'd have to make a large hole in the back of the door to slide it in somehow. I'll probably not bother with the plate at all, I guess they were produced as a fix after the heavier mirrors started falling off, so there probably wasn't an opening for them originally.

pat cooks

Reaction score
There is a small gap between the inner renforcer and the skin but it is nearly impossible to get up there with the glass and mechanism in place from memory........ you don't need the palte with manual mirrors, Pat

damienh

Reaction score
Thanks Pat - I'll have another look tonight, I've had everything out of the door but still couldn't see any gap. It's the E3 type electric mirrors, so they're pretty heavy, could do with using the plate if at all possible.