Winter Makeover

acat2002

Reaction score
Tim,

I had mud flaps on my 91 E34 and while I wasn't crazy about the look, they served a purpose up here in New England. I think the mud flaps break up the natural lines of the E9 and since it's probably unlikely that the flaps will serve any real useful purpose, I'd have to say.....lose em.
(you really going to take that beautiful coupe up to ski-country or on some off-road rally?)
Then again, after looking at the pictures again, I'm guessing that you enjoy the outdoors (mountain bikes) and your Sierra-Nevada location lends itself to an occassional run to Kirkwood, so maybe the mudflaps are the way to go. I used to make an annual pilgrimage to K-wood and Squaw from Santa-Cruz with a '74 2002. Can't imagine attempting that in an E9.

I always thought the addition of certain fog lights on an E9 was really tasteful. I know the period-correct location differed from year-to-year, but I always thought that mounting the round Cibies inboard between the headlights and the kidney grill was the best location. I think that the later cars should have the rectangular lights to be correct (under the bumper)?, but regardless, I don't think anyone really gets offended if they end up above the bumper. I don't know what the standard operating procedure is for mounting fogs or driving lights above the big-bumpers, but if I had a big-bumper car and wanted to do things "my" way, I'd tuck them in a little closer to the grill so that if you're looking at the car from the side they don't protrude so much from the nose. .......and since you're asking, I'd humbly suggest that the size of the lights are a little large and aggressive for a car that is clearly not set up for rally duty. I mean, if you're going for that look, than you've got to commit and go all the way (lose the bumpers altogether, add white gumball number panels etc.)

Bottom line is I think your coupe looks fine w/o these things, but picturing the car w/ bikes or snowbards on the roof, steaming up Hwy 88 or 4.........it all makes perfect sense and would look pretty cool. You'd definately get a "thumbs-up" from me if I saw you on the road.

tmason

Reaction score
Thanks Acat for your comments.I already removed the lamps, my wife didn't like the look unless I going on Pimp My Ride and as far as the mud flaps go I'm leaving them on for now because of much road sand is applied here for ice. Thanks again, Tim.

jmackro

Reaction score
Tim .......and since you're asking, I'd humbly suggest that the size of the lights are a little large and aggressive for a car that is clearly not set up for rally duty.

My friend acat2002 is being very tactful here. I would phrase the same thought as: "Those huge foglights are incredibly ugly! What was the PO thinking? Your wife is giving you great advice - lose those monstrosities."

The mudflaps aren't that obvious - if you like 'em, keep 'em. To me, muflaps always look kind of goofy - they seem correct on a Volvo, but out of place on an e9. Kind of like a ballerina wearing galoshes - practical but not pretty. But, if you like 'em, ...

tmason

Reaction score
I appreciate any comments and I know it's not something that will appeal to everyone on the look each owner is trying to get too but being nice when criticizing is what is all about.I'm just glad I own one and posting pictures for sharing is all I was doing.I love looking at everyone's ride(colors,rake or wheels?).That's what is neat about this forum.Thanks Tim
P.S. I don't think the lamps looked that bad but I know when my wife(20 years) says it's to much for her that it may be better without!

tmason

Reaction score
I don't know jmackro after watching that You Tube Rallye Monte-Carlo Historique I think I need to add a couple more pair of lights and figure out how to my car there in 2 years for the 100th Celebration with a keg of Sierra Nevada Celebration in the trunk! [Bucket List Thought?] PS Did you see the size of his/her flaps!