wiper and turn signal problems

ian t

Reaction score
For some as yet unkown reason both my wiper motor and both sides of the indicator circuit are not working. So far i a have proven that the hazards work all round so all bulbs and earths are working on the indicator circuit. I have checked out the stalk switch and there is 12v going to it as the washers are working. i have noticed a changeover rely in the wiring diagram which i suspect. does any one know where this is or can anyone give me some advice on where to look?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The only common part to the wiper motor and turn signals is the stalk switch. Note that the washer switch works on the ground circuit, so the washer working does not prove that you have 12V at the stalk unless you actually opened it up and measured it, in which case I would shut up.
BTW the 12V for the turn signals doesn't come from the stalk switch, so something is strange as there is no single fault that explains both problems. Did this develop overnight? Was a car at the shop lately? Does your mechanic need to make a boat payment?
Do your Euro one side night lights work?

ian t

Reaction score
wiper dilema

thanks for your advice but it seems somehow fuse 6 although not blown was not conducting so now i have replaced all the fuses and checked through the wiring and all is good ready for its MOT thursday.

pmansson

Reaction score
I just lost my turn signals (and the hazard warning function). No ticking from the relay and no green lights on the speedometer. It is not #7 fuse. My wipers work, and all other functions on #7 fuse.
I cannot locate the fuse relay. I thought that it was one of the relays above the hood opener, but none of them have the 56, 56a, 56b contact numbers.
Any help much appreciated as always!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Two options come to mind, one is the flasher unit itself, and the second
is the hazard light switch. The flasher unit would explain why both turn
and hazard stopped working at the same time. The hazard light switch
is in the turn signal path as well, and being probably cheaper to replace
you can start there.

You can unplug the hazard switch and short its socket connections 49 and 30. If the turn signals work then it was the switch.

pmansson

Reaction score
Thanks Arde,
yet again this board proves invalueable to us all.
I shorted 39 violet/green with 50 red/white, and the turn indicator worked.
So does this mean that the hazard warning light box/relay/switch is faulty?
It is the black "half pack of cigarrettes" size box/relay in the small hood release compartment, if I remember correctly.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good. You shorted the right colors. The numbers vary because there are two variants of the hazard light switch, so make sure you indicate the number of contacts when you order a new one.

If by "worked" you mean they blink, then the flasher relay is fine, all you need is the hazard light switch itself.

pmansson

Reaction score
Yes, they did blink so I will now order the correct switch. I will check on the number of contacts, but I would say there were 5, with a half inch flat section, with no contacts, to ensure correct mounting.
Do you know the location of the turn signal relay? It is supposed to have the contact numbers 56, 56a and 56b. None of the relays above the hood release have these numbers. They were all small, white with 4 contacts, in the 80s if I remember right. 3 or 4 were identical and then there was the large, black, hazard warning relay all in a line, and mounted in brackets. Do you or anyone know the function of these relays?

fhpete

Reaction score
similar hazard switch issue

Since buying my coupe a couple of months ago, the turn signals have been a bit sketchy. It seems they only work when the hazard switch is depressed. Today, similar to pmannson's issue, hazards and turn signals stopped working and the hazard switch won't stay depressed.

I understand from this thread that the hazards and turn signals are connected through the hazard switch.

It seems like a pretty straightforward switch issue, but before ordering a $48 part (new hazard switch) from Maximillion, I thought I'd check with you in case I'm way off.

Pete

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think you are right. Just be aware that there are two variants of the switch
so you order the right one. One has more contacts than the other. Maybe pull the old one before ordering. You can bypass the hazard switch to get
the turn signal to work and confirm it is the switch.

acat2002

Reaction score
I have the exact same symptoms as fhpete (turn signals only work when hazard switch is depressed)

The wiper motor also cooks the fuse when higher wiper speed is selected. I plan on getting "into" it soon, but since the weather has been nice, I've been having too much fun driving my coupe to start spending weekends disecting problems.

I bought the wiring diagram from Prospero (well laid out and helpful), but would like to hear if anyone has had similar problems before "reinventing the wheel".

pmansson

Reaction score
My problem was that the turn signals just didn´t work. The hazard did though (pressing it caused all four to blink). Someone on the board suggested bypassing by connecting two of the contact pins (30 and 59 or whatever it was) and this enabled the turn indicator to work.

I ordered a new one. Again, be careful to check whether you have 5 or 7 pins (if I remember correctly) and order accordingly.

My faulty hazard switch was probably damaged during the removal and reassembly of the long panel board (onto which it is attached). This operation was to gain access to the instrument cluster for complete removal of same in order to service the instruments. Bottom line is that things usually don´t brake just like that, but when you start playing around with them, it can happen.