Wipers

So when you pull the wiper plunger (by the window switches) out they stay at one speed, after they have been engaed using the stalk on the steering column?

Correct, even when pulling on the wiper speed knob near the power window switches, they continue to operate at the same slow rate.

You may need to rebuild the plunger switch, then, or get a NOS one, as that seems to be the source of your problem. The wiring could be loose, too.

Slow wipers

If your wipers operate slowly, it could be because of the following:
1) poor wiring connection and/or bad ground
2) wiper drive linkage parts need lubrication
3) dying wiper motor

You can test the motor somewhat by disconnecting the drive linkage parts from the motor arm. You need to get some oil down the shafts that the wiper blades ride on and squirt a little grease into the linkage couplings.

The wiper motor has a gearbox attached which is filled with 30 year old grease (same problem as power windows). On some wiper motors (and I'm pretty sure this includes all E9s) there are some electric contacts that ride on 'rings' sort of inside the big gear that have something to do with the wiper speed. If you clean out the old grease, clean off the 'rings', and put a few drops of oil on the motor bearings this should help the motor run faster.

Regards Bill's advice, I tackled all of this a couple years ago. I took the linkage and motor completely out of the car (not very difficult at all), cleaned and lubed the linkage, took the motor apart and cleaned the rust off the windings, cleaned out the nearly solid grease in the gearcase, lubed it up and put it all back in. For a few hours of easy labor, I have wipers that will fling water on bystanders when set on high speed!

Back