Wire cover and hose clamps

chope97

Reaction score
was looking under the hood of my 73 and most of my wires are not covered in tape. things look kinda unruly. what should I use to get these wire looking better. is there something I can use instead of tape? Also what size hose clamps should buy for my fuel hoses and water hoses to the carbs? I want to replace all clamps with new clamps Thanks

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@m5bb used a split loom and it looks very good. perhaps he will respond and verify what he used.
i think he used these = https://connectorexperts.com/c-1458559-tools-split-loom.html

clamps - according to realoem
fuel hose clamps - 07129952102 ... they are 9 to 12mm. check places like FCP Euro or AutohausAZ. if you want to buy from a dealer, try Getbmwparts.com
there are 3 at the fuel pump and 8 at the carbs

the larger fuel hose clamps are 12 to 15mm and there are 6 of them - 07129952104

water hose clamps - the main coolant clamps are 28-33mm and there are 6 of them

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Attachments

• BC299250-D639-4CB8-89EA-B36E2345F7C3.png
    BC299250-D639-4CB8-89EA-B36E2345F7C3.png
    822.3 KB · Views: 90

jmackro

Reaction score
was looking under the hood of my 73 and most of my wires are not covered in tape. things look kinda unruly. what should I use to get these wire looking better. is there something I can use instead of tape?
sfdon has already answered this, but let me second his answer by saying that you definitely do not want to use regular electrician's tape. The heat and fumes of the engine compartment will melt the adhesive and turn it into a gummy mess. And the texture of the tape isn't correct for an e9. Use the material sfdon recommends.

I hate electrician's tape, and just consider it a temporary fix. Maybe it works in home wiring, but not on cars.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@m5bb used a split loom and it looks very good. perhaps he will respond and verify what he used.
i think he used these = https://connectorexperts.com/c-1458559-tools-split-loom.html

clamps - according to realoem
fuel hose clamps - 07129952102 ... they are 9 to 12mm. check places like FCP Euro or AutohausAZ. if you want to buy from a dealer, try Getbmwparts.com
there are 3 at the fuel pump and 8 at the carbs

the larger fuel hose clamps are 12 to 15mm and there are 6 of them - 07129952104

water hose clamps - the main coolant clamps are 28-33mm and there are 6 of them

Scott,
All my exposed wiring is wrapped with this semi flexible split braided tubing. It looks good, easy to work with and install. Just open up and slip over wires. Go to this page and read the tips and tricks and benefits, like removal, add wires without removing, heat ends so they won't fray, even terminate with head shrink if you want. Many sizes. https://www.wirecare.com/interest/automotive-motorsports/electric-vehicles/flexo-f6

I see you comments about clamps. Belmetric has clamp that look just like BMW clamps, they just don't say BMW. Half the price of BMW clamps and every size you could ever need.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
@chope97; if you are replacing and ditching the old clamps to your hoses, I'd be happy to purchase them from you, if they are the original ones.
Can you post a picture of how it looks now and with one of the clamps you're aiming to replace?

My intention is to rezinc your old clamps to retain originality on my coupe.
Erik.

otter74

Reaction score
Scott,
All my exposed wiring is wrapped with this semi flexible split braided tubing. It looks good, easy to work with and install. Just open up and slip over wires. Go to this page and read the tips and tricks and benefits, like removal, add wires without removing, heat ends so they won't fray, even terminate with head shrink if you want. Many sizes. https://www.wirecare.com/interest/automotive-motorsports/electric-vehicles/flexo-f6

I see you comments about clamps. Belmetric has clamp that look just like BMW clamps, they just don't say BMW. Half the price of BMW clamps and every size you could ever need.
My 911 is running on a Megasquirt, so all of the wiring in the engine compartment is non-stock, and it's all encased in either the split braided loom or the hard loom linked above. I'd recommend it for you car.

Thanks for the link to the page with the tips and tricks, too.

chope97

Reaction score
@chope97; if you are replacing and ditching the old clamps to your hoses, I'd be happy to purchase them from you, if they are the original ones.
Can you post a picture of how it looks now and with one of the clamps you're aiming to replace?

My intention is to rezinc your old clamps to retain originality on my coupe.
Erik.
I will try to get some pictures

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you have not replaced the hose clamps with aftermarket clamps, I have about 8 different size BMW original clamps with BMW logo on them.