Wiring under hood light

foinsnap

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just got my car back after 2 years, I had an Engine fire. ( I’ll post the story later). So I’m trying to wire the under hood light, I thought this wire ( see picture) would be the power to the light, but it seems to be a ground wire, I tested it and it is definitely a ground. Maybe something got crossed when the new harness was installed.

I’m thinking of just running power from the battery

Any thoughts ???

Thanks

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_4502.jpeg
    IMG_4502.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 38
My memory is that it’s powered from the lest side marker lamp / blinker The wire runs through a grommet inside the hood up to the light.

Don't run directly to the battery or you may end up on fire again, at least use a fuse.
I think some of our lighting switches the ground wire which may align with what you see. Sorry I don't have access to a schematic at the moment

My memory is that it’s powered from the lest side marker lamp / blinker The wire runs through a grommet inside the hood up to the light.
Yes, the hood light gets power from the parking light circuit, when you pull the light switch knob out, the hood switch is energized. When the hood is lifted the switch closes the circuit, allows power to the bulb, then terminates at ground. Similar to how the interior light is activated by the door.

as i remember, the switch for the underhood light is right next to the light and it connects with the little angle bracket on the firewall (right behind the engine). the pressure switch grounds the circuit to complete the circuit when the pressure is released.

Check, if your good has ground.
Sometimes it's possible that there paint isolate so good that you don't have ground for the switch.

Breiti

Last edited:
Back