Wisch wasch no workie workie

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Jumping into the windshield wiper control system this week.
1. The motor spins in one direction all the time, assuming that is not what should happen? I have the arm removed as precaution.
2. Previous owner cut up the 1970 design by installing a newer style stalk on the right side of column. The wiring to the two speed switch down by the shifter was rerouted to this new stalk.
3. I opened up the control relay and found this mess, pretty surprised the motor moved at all!
PXL_20240306_003604377.jpg

I'm on the hunt for a new relay, found this one in my stash of goodies but is clearly different despite having the same pin out.
PXL_20240306_004434526.jpg

I have full schematics and will try to interpret how the combination of selector and complex relay works.

Any quick pointers would be appreciated, I'll be digging through the forum and Internet over the next few days for education and maybe a new relay.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hard to tell with all the buggered wiring, sort through that first then you can see if the motor parks itself. Otherwise, that may need a cleaning/regrease.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well I took a gamble and threw on the new relay box, it works!
Can someone describe how the later model wiper arm works or confirm it's like I have?
1. Push tip of stalk in towards steering column I feel a click and wiper turns on, push again to turn off
2. Stalk in low position towards floor is intermittent but not adjustable like modern cars
3. Stalk slid up one notch is reg speed
4. Stalk slid up to top is high speed.

Win?