Wish-Wash Relay - Fun with Electric Gremlins

rb1971

Reaction score
Since my car went back together, I've had a problem with the wipers not functioning from time to time (originally wrote "intermittently" there - but didn't want to give the wrong impression that the only broken function was the delay wipe).

The thinking was that the stalk switch or the speed switch in the center console was the culprit, but today we had the whole thing apart with a power probe at the shop, and it turned out to be the wish-wash relay. You could thump the box, and the wipers would start up for some period of time, then stop - thump it again, same deal. Reminds me of a TV we had in the 70s that my father refused to get rid of for years because you only had to thump it a few times every hour to watch football.

Anyway, replaced the relay and everything works. Important today, since the drive home from the shop in SF was somewhat wet (but fortunately before the torrents started coming down). I figure this might help some other poor coupe owner in the future - assuming anyone else is also brave enough to drive in the rain.

-John

frogisland

Reaction score
My e12 loom is laid out on the floor, have problems with my relay (same part as the e9) 61311357913 (part number now changed to 6131357904, Siemens 1357904)

Washer pump was not working, there was current at the earth terminal. Traced it back to the relay. Pulled the relay, connected a live to terminal 53a and found their was current at all of the other terminals. Have now ordered a new one as per the 904 number above which will hopefully fix the problem. The one on the loom ready to go into the e9 is heavily corroded inside, at least i will have one good one to try in each loom.

JP