WOOD INSERT COLOR QUESTION/DOUBT

LEO

Reaction score
Hello e9coupe guys, does anyone know exactly what the shade/colour of the paint was on the wood inserts of the e9, and the finish, matte, glossy or semi-matte. thanks for your answers in advance

Can't answer the color question, but definitely not glossy.
At original wood, you still see all grain.
Ir seems like as there is non clear coat at all on it.

Breiti

Reactions: LEO
The wood veneer is cherry for pre-facelift and walnut for post-facelift cars (i.e. until model year 73/VIN 2xxx and MY 74/VIN 4xxx onwards)

Reactions: LEO
Agree, never heard of cherry, never seen cherry. Always blandish walnut. Many of us have swapped it out for something more interesting. Would be almost impossible to match one section to all others.

i do have a pair of rear window trims that are NOS - they were part of the full interior trim that i bought a while back. much darker style than the earlier cars. not going to use the wood since i changed my wood to Etimoe. a good wood guy could match the stain / finish ... i'm not that guy.

I've done the dashes on 3 Coupes and always used French Walnut sourced in Europe. Since our Coupes are 50 years old or older the woods that you get now usually don't look exactly like the originals. They are close but can vary and a bit darker. I waited to pick my carpets after I got the new kits so I could match the two. There are some US companies that will provide dash kits but their Walnut has a grey tinge to it and I think not a good match to the original. My kits from Europe always came with a satin finish.
Regards, Jon

i'm a big believer in approving the raw veneer before i buy it. in addition to seeing a pic or sample of the raw veneer, i also want to see it wiped with a sponge of water ... so i can approximate the color of the wood with a clear finish. Jon, i agree with you that most of the european walnut i have seen lately is a big gray. you might try bleaching the veneer (testing small pieces) ... that can sometimes take the gray out and lighten the wood - you have to experiment with how much you dilute the bleach to get the right effect. American walnut often is grayer but can also be browner ... it can also have figure which makes it more interesting (to me)

also agree with Jon about satin finish

Back