Wood Trim Installation Question

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I find myself needing to resort to the collective wisdom of the forum once again. I am in a bit of a panic as I would like to have a back seat when I head off to the PVGP later this week.

I purchased from sfdon a replacement set of door/parcel shelf cards, and after transferring the vinyl and changing its color, I attempted a test fit. The test fit did not go well, and in looking at why I began to evaluate the wood trim installation. It appeared weird to me that the rearmost portion of the trim would overlap the fender flange. I considered that it would fit much better if I removed a small triangle off the corner. Then I looked over at the other side. There is a small triangle removed, but it is in the front, and on the other end a nice curved contour that appears to be designed to line up nicely with the door trim. It appears that the trim installed on the other side would fit much better on the driver's side. Said another way, it appears these trim pieces are installed on the wrong side.

In addition, there is a very thick piece of vinyl above the chrome trim piece that covers the corner of the door opening. If you look at the picture, this vinyl is actually pressing the wood trim (with the cut corner) out and away from the door trim piece quite a bit. It appears that there is room to install the wood back far enough to enable the vinyl to show between the trim pieces above the chrome strip. On the other hand, the contour of the end of the wood trim appears to be cut so that it lines up next to the door piece.

Can someone please describe (or post a picture of) the proper installation of this trim piece.

Trim install.jpg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks a ton, that is exactly what I was thinking I needed to do.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It is on the wrong side. Prior restoration shop installed the driver's side piece on the passenger side and vice versa (along with removing the vapor barrier, denting the fender flanges in a couple of places near the window stops, mashing up the trim pieces and bending the door card behind the vinyl to get them to fit). And here I thought I was just going to swap the vinyl, dye it on the new backing and put it back in...