Wood Trim

tturbo

Reaction score
Well, I just took out all old wood trim including the dash parts, any suggestion on where I can restore them, would a good carpenter be able to duplicate the door panel trim? I have seen some for sale for a huge money, and the problem with that is that the dash would not have the same color, any advice???

shanon

Reaction score
trying searching the board's archive for wood trim/refinishing topics, it's a re-occuring topic.

My .02...
Do all your wood at the same time from the same batch of veneer (original: euro walnut) for consistant grain, color and finish.

I did mine myself, love the results, its possible to DIY. Veneer = $50 + time, chemicals & tools. I milled new door & 1/4 window pcs, with a table saw and a belt & orbital sander.

A good winter project.

HTH & good luck!
-shanon

Honolulu

Reaction score
Second Shanon's suggestion

Just for kicks I duplicated one of the door trims when I had the real thing off for one reason or another. I used a scrap of redwood I had laying about the place, and with a little elbow grease, plane and a bit of sanding, the shape came out real well, and the fit was A-okay.

All it needed was multiple coats of clear to be like new....

You could do the same if you're at all handy with basic woodworking tools. Choose your wood and have a go at it. Might try a dry run on some scrap first.

Veneer is do-able too, but I'm not familiar with it nor into just facing the wood when you can do the real thing, right through.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I just did all of my wood. When it came out of the car it was a mess: delaminated, warped, rotten, etc. I was able to recondition all the pieces with lots of time, clamps, glue, and wood filler. I removed the old veneer with using razor blades. Applying new veneer was a learning experience for me but it came out pretty good (Antar posted link to a few pics of it recently). If you decide to take this project on I'll be happy to discuss all the little issues I had to deal with and little tricks I developed with you. I would consider myself to be a well equipped, fearless amateur wood worker. (send a PM and we can connect if you want to chat about it).

I don't have pics of the door pieces yet - they won't be re-installed until the door panels are complete. They came out just as good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9973092@N03/sets/72157602437936323

2859fb3f649fba4b033a2f4c760c0e91.jpg

4268335a79ee47242bbf12d813ceb3c3.jpg

cafdd4091500962904568ab40b446e73.jpg

Jonathan

Reaction score
Heritage woodworks in NC is the best wood restorer in the country. Drew works on many E9's and early Mercedes. His work is top notch but he's expensive (expect to pay around $1,200 to $1,500 for all wood panels depending on the condition of your wood). The website is www.heritagewoodworks.com

Jonathan

Roger S

Reaction score
Madera Concepts (www.maderaconcepts.com) did my work. They will do the work without a core exchange. If you have a core to exchange or a set to work from the price ranges from three hundred dollars less to negotiable. Turnaround time is 2-3 weeks. Ask for Jeff.

My woodwork is in the photo gallery: http://www.e9coupe.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=138

With time and the proper tools, all this work can be done yourself and is fun. If you dont have the time or the skill sets, you will appreciate the work of folks who specialize in your particular need - in this instance woodwork (which ever specialty vendor you choose). I was very pleased with my set; so much so that I had them do a second set for my other coupe.

Good luck.

Roger