Wooden Dash Grab Rail Removal?

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I need to remove to repair or replace the wooden grabrail that sits in front of the dash, not sure what the correct name is fo rthis. I have found many links to dash removal but none that referr to removing this grab rail part. Many cars seem to have a plastic coated version rather than wood, not sure what the difference is, mine is a 1973 CSI RHD. Can anyone give me some advice or point me to a suitable link on how to remove this please?

Does any one happen to have one of these pieces for sale in the UK and also a left hand door trim wood?

Thanks
C

Attachments

• PB040771.jpg
    PB040771.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 169
  • PB040772.jpg
    PB040772.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 159
  • PB040773.jpg
    PB040773.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 145

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Hi Cornishman, it is my understanding that it was the Euro spec E9 that was favoured with the wooden rail . I don't think it's really practical to remove it separately given it is screwed/glued( ?) to the base and also to the dash fascia ie the whole thing would need to be removed . It is hard to determine from the photo the level of work required but if it's only cosmetic then it might be an option to do in-situ...this of course depends on the quality of finish you require .

The door trim is a bit more straightforward to replace but you obviously need to be mindful of matching the colour/finish with the rest of the wooden trim should you get a new piece made . Others may have some solutions for you.

Good luck, Simon

pmallinson

Reaction score
I don't think it's really practical to remove it separately given it is screwed/glued( ?) to the base and also to the dash fascia ie the whole thing would need to be removed . Good luck said:
Hi Cornishman

I echo the above its best not to try and remove the rail separate otherwise is may damage and not be replaceable.
Yours should be repairable as its only the lacquer that has blistered and pealed off mine was the same but its now all repaired see pictures.

I have spare dash woodwork in Ireland and also door cappings I think ? , currently overseas at work though so will have to check and picture when I get back wee tomorrow :) PM me about them if interested ?

Attachments

• P1000906.jpg
    P1000906.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC00024 Comp.jpg
    DSC00024 Comp.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 129

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
dash grab rail

Cornishman,

Good advice given already here and I agree with it. The covering is a brittle layer of built-up lacquer about 20 thou thick and separates relatively easily, with care and possibly a hair dryer where stubborn. With the aid of a surgical "scalpel" you'll have the (visible) lot off before lunch and then you can stain/re-lacquer to taste before Eastenders comes on the telly. Failing that I do have a couple of dashboards but they are complete and I wouldn't split. I am in Stoke.

Best wishes, John

daddywad

Reaction score
Dash

imagejpeg

Cornishman, pic attached of how the whole dash needs to be removed so you can remove the front rail.

Its screwed in from underneath the flat dash section and a single screw from each end through the curved section.

Good luck

Mark

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you

Ok, now I see how it goes together, thanks for the good advice and I won't try to dismantle it. I think that I will go for an in-situ fix and if I mess it up, the take the dash out and replace it.
From what I have read the dash is quite hard to remove, so this is the practical fix vs the best fix.
Must go as Eastenders will be in soon, for those on the other side of the pond that is a London soap.
Thanks C