Wooden dash strip

Mattiee7

Reaction score
Hi all, any pointers on removing the wooden dash strip ?

Regards
Matt

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
which wooden dash strip might you be talking about? the basic wood dash, or if you are in a RHD country, the wooden grab rail (vinyl / foam part for the rest of the world). most of us only wish we had the ability to have the wooden grab rail, and we have no idea how to remove that

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fix it in the car

I gave up trying to get mine out, so repaired it in the car.
I used a sharp blade to scrape off the off the old laquer, then used a fine sandpaper, stain and eventually resprayed it. The veneer that was peeling was glued and clamped in situ. I took my time and it went ok, not like Bela does it but pretty good result.
Good luck
C

daddywad

Reaction score
wooden rail has a screw at each end going through the vertical curved wooden surface and fixing the end edge of the rail to it. dash has t come out to release the rail

Mark

damienh

Reaction score
I have a spare I will be looking at soon, it looks like it will come off easily, there are about 8 screws underneath which attach it to the vinyl covered shelf. But this would probably be impossible if it wasn't removed from the car.

I'm trying to work out how this piece has been veneered, with the kind of wobbly shape on the other side, seems impossible, but I guess I'll know when I dismantle it.

Only Right hand drive cars have this veneered grab rail, LHD ones are covered in vinyl for some reason.

readie

Reaction score
quick question, did you ever find out how the 'wobbly shape' on the rear of the grab rail was veneered ??

readie

Reaction score
aahh, thanks, what type of timber is it ? I am looking to re-veneer so want to match if poss...

damienh

Reaction score
Useful information, thanks. It does seem like this piece cannot be veneered so it would make sense to me that it was in fact solid wood. I guess it would have all been stained in one go ? actually Bela, who has beautifully restored many sets, would be worth asking for advice.