WTB 5-speed

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm looking for an excellent shifting G265 for my car. The one I put in is giving me trouble in reverse and second gear. I think something inside is not so good. I'm not in a hell-fire rush, but if anyone has or knows of a really good box please let me know. And thank you all.

tmh

Reaction score
Metric Mechanics sells rebuilt 5 speeds for around $3500 and it is my impression their transmissions are well regarded.

shermanmartinez

Reaction score
Exactly! It's $3500 just to rebuild the transmission. If you don't have one then I would guess they would charge you more than what the actual core charge is to provide you with one.

shermanmartinez

Reaction score
I have a 265 with speedo drive as well as motronic or non motronic bellhousing. Very clean and in excellent shape.

pat cooks

Reaction score
what oil are you using? 2nd gear synchro issues was always the wrong oil back in the day! reverse could be wrong oil and or clutch clearance issues,

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thaks Pat. I found a trans locally (at Terry Saythers) I'll run through the gear oil options with him before swapping out. We're doing a favor-for-favor exchange on this one so I'm sure he'd prefer not to change it if at all unnecessary. Thanks for the reminder- I think I've just got straight 75/90 synthetic in there now

pat cooks

Reaction score
Thaks Pat. I found a trans locally (at Terry Saythers) I'll run through the gear oil options with him before swapping out. We're doing a favor-for-favor exchange on this one so I'm sure he'd prefer not to change it if at all unnecessary. Thanks for the reminder- I think I've just got straight 75/90 synthetic in there now

Without smelling the oil I cannot be certain but I think that is the wrong oil, is it the same as the diff (rear end) uses? As an easy experiment I would try changine the oil for ATF and see how it behaves, I use ATF, 10w40 engine oil or a special tranny fluid but ATF will be good for a test, worth a try, nothing to loose except 1/2 an hour!

pat cooks

Reaction score
ATF is cheap, easy to find and good for flushing out the thick oil, if it works change it in a few weeks for redline etc. ATF is actually on the box sticker for a lot of E30, E36 etc. manual boxes from the factory.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I use MAG1 ATF Dexron III, cheap and seems to work great in my 265.
I initially bought it just to flush the box from whatever had been in it, but after some driving when the time came to flush the box, I came to the conclusion that the box was very smooth and silent so I felt no need to try any improvements at that point and just filled it up with the same ATF, but of course YMMV.