WTB - Boot Tool Tray (under lid, not the one that sits in the boot)

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Using the English term I guess (boot), but does anyone have a decent (meaning it can screw in with corners not too badly damaged) tool tray for sale? By no means does it need to be pristine. Mine finally took a dump after leaving a case of wine in the boot and crunching it to the point of non-op while shutting. The one time I had tools in it too. I would like to be able to put tools in for shows etc., so hopefully the screws can hold tools temporarily for something like that. I usually take the tools out and roll them up while driving. But after some wine tasting and not thinking 100%, things happen, if you know what I mean?

I found out these used to be for sale new from BMW up until about 2-months ago (my luck). I have ALL the tools and the foam insert! Just need to tool tray. Bav and E9 I believe are interchangeable, if not, I need for E3.

Thanks for any help in advance.....Cheers - Shane

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I believe my friend has one. I will send photos tomorrow once I get it from him.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, what are the steps to successfully renovating these trays. I recall reading members have saved a few of these, but what should we do, what products help fix the broken corners/tabs? I am sure it can be done, just looking for some specifics. Thanks for your input. :cool:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Basically, you glue the cracks from the backside. The parts that are raised can be reinforced with support plastic (or metal) as well. Spray with SEM storm grey.

So, what are the steps to successfully renovating these trays. I recall reading members have saved a few of these, but what should we do, what products help fix the broken corners/tabs? I am sure it can be done, just looking for some specifics. Thanks for your input. :cool:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm doing an experiment with help from Bert Poliakoff.

The 71111102916 tray is what we think of as the E3/E9 tray. It's the "clamshell" one. It is listed in RealOEM as fitting all years E3 and E9 only.

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 8.14.31 PM.png

The 71111117105 is a similar tray, It is the one piece tray with the strap to support it when open. It is listed in RealOEM as fitting 5/71-2/77 E3s in addition to E12s and E24s.
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 8.15.10 PM.png

The 4 screw holes on the hinge on the 17105 tray have the same spacing as the holes in my E3 deck lid. It will need something for the screw plug (#5 above) to screw into. Hopefully #3 in the illustration will fill this purpose. On the 02916 tray, the screw plug screws into the top of the clamshell so no additional piece is needed.

I pick up a used 17105 in a few days and I'll know more when I fit it to my deck lid.

The tool assortment in both trays is similar. If the 17105 works, it would be a good alternative to the hard to find 02916 tray at least for us E3 owners. But since the 02916 fits both E3 and E9, the 17105 might fit both also.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just a word of caution, the dates in RealOEM are not correct. The one piece tray was introduced at the attached VINs, not in 5/71. I am sure it will fit if you can attach #3 to the lid.

5ABA9E7D-A0F4-4F7F-88CC-D17B914A6551.jpeg

The e12 and e24 trays are similar but have a few differences even though at first glance they look identical. Here is my e12 tray, it holds a pin to access window motors, e3 and e9 does not use or have this. Small pliers are also located differently, it doesn’t have Allen wrenches or valve tool.

DF7FC685-4F0C-46C5-8AC3-A0B735F8811E.jpeg

Can someone post a 74 one piece tray?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, Chris! :) It's good to know I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here.

I have been somewhat suspicious of RealOEM data at times. Thanks for the correction.

The oval shaped threaded plug (#3) that receives the screw plug (#5) is NLA and may be hard to find. It's nice to see that in the last picture the square version of the threaded plug which is still available could be used. Both carry the same PN oddly enough (71111110445).

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If your looking for the part that holds the tool, I have a couple. Please send me a photo of the part that is attached to the lid.
Thanks