WTB: E9 Side Loader LSD Differential

precision

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen, Does anyone on the forum have a limited slip differential for sale? I am interested in a quality used unit for installation with a uprated engine. Perhaps there is a quaiffe unit available for a rebuild effort. Please let me know what you have and perhaps we can do business. Thanks. CR

shanon

Reaction score
getting harder to find

Hello,

You might try giving Mario at VSR (www.vsr1.com) a ring, he might have some current info.

From what I have learned, most 'used' ones are discovered to be toasted/junk with an internal, broken, non-serviceable part (sorry, dont remember its name). Its likely only discovered/detected when unit is disassembled. I think some solutions were being explored, but don't know their status.

You might expand your LSD search for a known quality rebuilt unit or plan on having it done if you find one.

Yes, 'good' used side-loader LSDs are getting harder to 'find'.....

hth
-s

mr bump

Reaction score
E12 lsd or pre 82 e24 will drop straight in. Mine came from an e24 3.5 auto with a 3.09 cwp which mated with a 5 speex dogleg box is ample for all kinds of driving styles. My lsd was in great condition being from an auto e24, those units are bullet proof so dont ignore units that have done 100k. Look for a pre 82 breaker and expect to pay £300 plus postage. I know a dealer who posts diffs all over the world so if you get stuck, drop me a pm and il forward you his details.

rb1971

Reaction score
Call Pete's gear shop:

http://www.petesgearshop.com

I had a (now-defunct) business in SoCal make me a hybrid diff with E30 internals but in the side loader casing. They got it mostly right, but had shimmed it badly and were clearly going out of business at the time. Worked great but finally blew up on last year's Targa California. As a testament to old school engineering, even after it blew up we filled it with diff oil in King City CA and it made it all the way back to SF.

Pete (who works with SFDon a lot) pulled it apart. He had apparently been thinking of doing something like this for a while, and the work that had already been done let him know how to do it right. It's been in my car in that form for about 6 months now, and works great. Plus Pete was really great to work with.