WTB Front Struts

seh1

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone have an extra set they can part with? PM me or respond with details. I really just need the housings, but will buy a complete set if necessary.

coupedownunder

Reaction score
I have one e9 strut housing in very good condition..when I did a restoration I found my front struts where different...a 50mm on one side and a 48mm the other ... (probably from a repair after an accident I assume ).. Anyway so happens I has an e3 wreck, and they have the same 50mm housing as the e9 ..So I have one 50mm and a 48mm (from an e12 I think ) left over... Was going to keep as a spare , but also like to clear my shed out a bit ! Im in Australia but happy to send it over if u are prepared to pay the freight...let me know if this is of help and I will sell it for a reasonable price (aust. $ is good exchange for you also)

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
My '74 had a 48mm on one side and a 50mm on the other, unnoticed until I tried to install new Bilsteins. Couldn't believe POs would do that. Guess it might have been a common fix when a coupe got clobbered in the front back in the day. What a pain trying to find another 50mm strut so my inserts would fit...

coupedownunder

Reaction score
mikes correct, the "perch" height is different... and I beleive the 48mm will give you a lower ride height also ? CSi Inc. quote $1200 each for this beauties! ooch !... thats if they actually have them in stock ?
I have the CN springs/bilsten set up which drives just great , but would have likes a slighlty lower ride height (about 1/2 an inch lower coincidently !!) I stayed with 50mm to be OEM, and also Carl says if you go too low it starts to muck up geometry/strains components etc ...unless you go to coil overs