WTB Set of black (anodised) wiper arms and blade holders

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
They are not e12 and e21 is shorter I am guessing like the 2002.
Chris,

Could it be the case where RealOEM is listing the same wiper arms for both the e21 and e9, which are

(1) incorrect relative to the original E9 parts

(2) but ‘compatible’ as functional replacements

John

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can believe it is correct but for the bolted arms (MY1974-75).
I mixed up the E12 in. My bad.
1623876163940.png

1623876176021.png

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Might be... I have E21 wiper arm and E9 chrome ... Will check and make a photo for comparison.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is a case where the 975 part shows as superseding the 121 part but to do this you would need to change spindles, that’s very misleading.

2002turbo

Reaction score
My spindles (74 CS) have no thread so that makes them snap on I guess.

I can tell you the chromed 2002 arms I put on have the airfoil and they do work but the lengths are not quite right and the splines are not quite the same pitch either. The pitch of the axles is very fine. The wiper arms are coarser, so I used a drop of jb weld to make sure mine don't fly off (been there done that).

I also remember having to do something to the blades to get them to go on the arms. The blades I bought were supposedly correct for the Coupe.

I would like to get the correct arms at some point. Various BMW dealerships I have checked don't even show them in their parts inventory.

2002turbo

Reaction score
OK well my arms have the straight tips .. not correct. 2002 parts. I have a 2002 so I will prob. keep those in reserve for my other car.

Some guy in Latvia is selling what looks like the correct arms on Ebay .. not cheap and I am hesitant to deal with anyone in a country that just sounds shady. Is that "racist"? Well I guess not, those countries are some of the whitest on earth. I have noticed the same with vintage Speedline wheels and centers for same .. unobtanium except for these odd E European countries. What's up with that?

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK well my arms have the straight tips .. not correct. 2002 parts. I have a 2002 so I will prob. keep those in reserve for my other car.

Some guy in Latvia is selling what looks like the correct arms on Ebay .. not cheap and I am hesitant to deal with anyone in a country that just sounds shady. Is that "racist"? Well I guess not, those countries are some of the whitest on earth. I have noticed the same with vintage Speedline wheels and centers for same .. unobtanium except for these odd E European countries. What's up with that?

the guy in Latvia, is he selling black E9 arms?

If yes AND you’re not interested, could you DM me his details or a link?

btw I bought my getrag 265/6 from a guy in Lithuania. Unseen apart from pics…smoothest transaction I’ve ever made. So you just never know.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I talked to Carl Nelson today in La Jolla. He he seen hundreds of coupes and yet not one 74 with bolt on arms. There was a very late 74 customer car there with splined posts/arms. If they were used perhaps it was on coupes built in 75 which we didn’t get in the US. BTW, I looked at an e21 with coupe style hooked end arms and they do bolt on but the cap is plastic and not pot metal.

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
I talked to Carl Nelson today in La Jolla. He he seen hundreds of coupes and yet not one 74 with bolt on arms. There was a very late 74 customer car there with splined posts/arms. If they were used perhaps it was on coupes built in 75 which we didn’t get in the US. BTW, I looked at an e21 with coupe style hooked end arms and they do bolt on but the cap is plastic and not pot metal.
I think you’re probably spot on with this thinking.

But to confirm where there ever black snap on arms available?

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score

Late 1975, EU is bolt on type. I can provide pictures of the mounting axles but no arms.
Confirm, E21 has the plastic protection cap covering the nut.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
But to confirm where there ever black snap on arms available?

When I bought my coupe, it came with black snap on arms with hook ends, but I can't say for sure where they came from?
I used them for a while until I bought a set of chrome arms, and currently have them as spares. I could trade them for a set of chrom/satin arms though.
Both have wings, so probably two drivers arms, might be able to remove one of the wings if needed.

(They should sit lower in resting position, but had some trouble with the wiper linkage, etc.)

Screenshot 2021-06-20 at 12.22.38.png

Screenshot 2021-06-20 at 12.27.37.png

Last edited:

damienh

Reaction score
You learn something new every day.

My '73 had chrome clip ons. After I lost my first chrome one, I bought a pair of black clip ons used that I thought looked better anyway. Then another extra pair a few years later, as I decided that these are effectively a disposable part. The big problem for me (and maybe it's just my wiper motor spindle ?) is that the pattern of the grooves on the arm don't match the spindle, so how they even work at all I don't know, let alone stay on. Are mine mismatched I wonder ? A mechanic a few years back put "loctite" on them, and they stayed in place until restoration time, but now they'll have to go back on.

I've been trying to work out a more sophisticated solution to stop them falling off, if anyone has one I'd love to hear it. I had no idea there was a later design, I'd be really interested to see if anyone has pictures.

But to throw in my opinion/experience - the two pairs I bought used appeared to be original. If they had been originally chrome and painted black, it would be pretty obvious, I prepped and painted one set myself as they were a little rough, and the second set I had them done professionally. I have seen sets on ebay where they had just been painted black over chrome, so I know it happens. And the time I bought these parts, E9 values were not high enough, and parts were plentiful enough, that for someone to have gone to the trouble of stripping the chrome off and having them painted properly is hard to imagine. And in both unrelated cases.

Perhaps black wiper arms came with CSLs ? (Black slats in kidney grille, black headliner), someone will know.

Damien

2002turbo

Reaction score
I have the same problem .. very fine splines that don't match the wiper arms, which apparently are not correct as mine have straight tips not hooked. I used a dab of JB weld. I also queried BMW, they can supply the bolt on type for only $120 each. But that's a whole different topic. Maybe they went to bolt-on for a good reason. I am hoping someplace (other than transylvania) I can get a set of correct black arms for my 74 CS