WTB: Trunk Shock Tower Covers/Skins

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe MT is taking orders for elephant skin. They will run as many orders as they have no extras.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
MT=Mobile Traditions. Refers to BMW's supply of parts they began making for older cars like ours. MT parts can be obtained from some BMW dealers or from the following online source:

http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/

Looks like they have elephant skin, and Trunk Shock Tower Covers for 74s now:

Elephant Skin Material 51951811281: $79.53 Per Meter
Tower Covers: 51471810889/890: $119.04 Each

-David

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just wonder if they have truly matched the original material in the vinyl. Leave it to BMW to claim original and sell something similar. It would be nice if they made the very thin vinyl for the trunk lid.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm recording this for posterity:

Maximilian has it for $79.53 Per Meter
Carl Nelson also carries it, at a higher price
Veteran Co no long has any in stock
None of the shops in Los Angeles fabric district had anything close

I found a vinyl that's pretty close for $17 a yrd. Color and texture are close, but not exact. It's thin without the foam backing. Here's a link but it doesnt really show the texture or color right:

http://www.morbern.com/product_detail.php?swatchId=842

Product can be bought from Veteran Co in Los Angeles.

-David

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Veteran is a great place, if you can't find it there then no one has it. I was fortunate to buy enough elephant skin from them to do my trunk about five years ago before an east coast restorer bought their remaining stock. BMW wants way too much!

dtortoise9

Reaction score
rear tower coverings

The coverings for the rear tower for a 74 (big bumper car) are different tha the earlier years. I believe that MT has the same number listed for both and that is incorrect- ask me how I know. There is an extra brace in the big bumper car.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was afraid of that. I sent them a note to confirm they were for a 74, but no response yet. Were you able to modify them to fit?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is there anyone else licensed by Mobile Tradition. I have read the horror stories about Max and can confirm them from personal experience.

If some of you have had positive experiences with Max on consistent basis I would love to hear about. I remember the days when Art Wegweiser's son worked there and it was primo.

Steve

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Penske is good. I've used Maximillion a number of times and Ken has always been helpful, sometimes they get jacked around by BMW when they send them the wrong or mislabeled part so it's not always their fault. I use both companies depending on price - they're not always the same.

Is there anyone else licensed by Mobile Tradition. I have read the horror stories about Max and can confirm them from personal experience.

If some of you have had positive experiences with Max on consistent basis I would love to hear about. I remember the days when Art Wegweiser's son worked there and it was primo.

Steve

RJRuiz

Reaction score
I have these on back order from Maximilian for my '72.

Have ordered several items from them and never had an issue.

Ray

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just received the message below from Maximilian regarding the covers fitting my '74.

dtortoise9,
Do you happen to have the part number for the covers that didnt work on your '74 ?

###
Hi,

There is no information on BMW regarding year changes for this part so
it should surely fit your car.

Regards,

Konrad.
###

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would not rely on Konrad's assumptions, he is obviously not knowledgable on coupes. Post a pic of your trunk, I can't remember where the extra bracing terminates.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
David

The new covers are a pliable, rubbery material and I think you could trim this piece to fit around the '74 bracing. As long as the part is returnable if you can't trim it you would be good.

Chris