WTB: Windscreen wiper switch and cigarette lighter

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Mattie ...

See if this console itself with the switch and lighter w/o element will do?
(if so bid and the price seems very good) or let me know if I should for you?)

Picture1-15.png

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_1118

I've been looking (and will keep on same if not suitable) for ya!

Cheers!

Ran

Last edited:

Tundra

Reaction score
Just make sure that the switch shown is not a rear widow defogger as some e9s have it located there as I have on one of my coupes.

Last edited:

Tundra

Reaction score
thanks Andre...On that vehicle you mention (what year?) where is your wiper switch?

As far as I know the on/off wiper switch is always on the steering column. The switch on the console Mattie is referring to is the wiper Speed control. My wiper Speed control on one of my coupes ( 74 M/T) is in the same arm as the on/off and mist arm on the steering column and the rear window defogger switch is on the console next to the lighter. On another of my coupes, that Speed control switch is on the console as Mattie is looking for and the rear defogger switch is under the driver side dash on the panel where the Hazard switch is located.

Hope this helps

Andre

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
My assumption is that your '74 might be a later modification? We can ask the seller (if he even knows) although IIRC there should be indications on the console panel itself that appear to be too worn to read this photo...What (word-phrase) are we to be looking for...? Her's being RHD my assumption she can swap the parts over if the wiring is long enough...but if it IS the wiper switch wouldn't it have 3 detents for speed or just 2 unlike the defrost switch?

CSShifter.jpg

Thanks Andre that is very helpful!

Ran

Last edited:

Tundra

Reaction score
The knob you have circled is the lighter. Although not very clear, I can see that it has the image of a burning cigarette much like the cigarette in the international symbol for 'no smoking'. My 72 has the same image on the lighter. The knob to the left of it, the one we are discussing, could be either the wiper speed control as it is on my 72 OR the rear window defogger as it is on my 74. On my 72 it clearly says 'wiper speed' on the 74 it is blank as is the lighter. If you read the 'mission statement' under my signature you will understand.
What year is your coupe?

Andre

Last edited:

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
According to Mattie's posting above it's a '72 ...no idea what year the ebay console is from as he's not replied to both of my questions as of yet. I circled the lighter to show the text indication but note the ebay item is missing it's lighter element so it's a question you wisely bring up...

Mission statement: My German is a bit rusty...please translate?

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
"Why make it easy if complicated works just as well....and if it's not broken yet, by the time I get the part off, it will be"

Console owner contacted me and he's to be back at home Sunday and will advise as to the switch function... for Mattie's 1972 3.0CS in NZ.

Ta Andre!

PS Wonder if someone else here is now bidding... if so, that's so cold!

lol!

Last edited:

mattie4859

Reaction score
Thanks, yes, it is the speed control switch on the console I'm after (on/off intermittent switch is, as you say, the lever on steering column), and rear window defogger is a switch under dash. Ran, the Ebay item doesn't look to be in good condition, thanks. Mine works, and actually all I really need is the wiper symbol for the top (which often seems to be missing), plus an operative cigarette lighter (for completeness, and rechargers).

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, yes, it is the speed control switch on the console I'm after (on/off intermittent switch is, as you say, the lever on steering column), and rear window defogger is a switch under dash. Ran, the Ebay item doesn't look to be in good condition, thanks. Mine works, and actually all I really need is the wiper symbol for the top (which often seems to be missing), plus an operative cigarette lighter (for completeness, and rechargers).
So it's the decal you are really after or another switch with same intact yet if this lighter socket works it might be worth the $10US.

I'll keep an eye out for the above and not bid this item for you then...

Cheers!

Ran

wazza.csi

Reaction score
E9 Wiper Switch

Hi there I am in Hamilton just down the road I will have a look tomorrow and see if my parts car still has the wiper switch, or you can call me at on 021 754627 if you like.
Cheers Warren