WTB wiper pivot left

Rek

Reaction score
Mine has become smooth and will not grip the wiper arm. Thankfully its on the passenger side over here.

It is part number 21 on the attached. If its a pain to get off I will offer on the complete mechanism.

Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 10.54.10.png

Rek

Reaction score
I only need the left hand side pivot but I will understand if you want to sell the whole mechanism. I have a solid motor (now).

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
dear @Rek
here you are the pics,
this is a complete mech, fully recovered and chromed in matt finish for rust protection, you can paint it over this surface treatment by using first a primer such as phosphate (available in spray) or leave it like it is
it inlcudes the nylon washers

just let me know if this is what you need

in principle i will not split it

20180207_190350.jpg
20180207_190402.jpg
20180207_190412.jpg
20180207_190418.jpg

Attachments

• 20180207_190508.jpg
    20180207_190508.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Rek

Reaction score
I understand completely. I just need to check whether the splines match mine. I will then PM you.
Thank you for looking this out.

Rek

Reaction score
PM sent. I decided on another course of action. Not hugely elegant just yet, but as Turner have this part (maybe) for $111 and RogersTi have it for $345 I was thinking that it gives me time to locate my spare mechanism.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
IMG_3854.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rek, what year is your coupe? the one that DeQ has looks to be from a pre '74. my memory tells me that the '74 wiper arm connection to the post is different. (i could be completely wrong about this)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like this screw mod, I wonder if this can be done from the other side to remain hidden? I'm paranoid about losing a wiper, twice the drivers side has popped off but fortunately both both times landed at the base of the windshield so I could recover.

Wladek

Reaction score
Rek, what year is your coupe? the one that DeQ has looks to be from a pre '74. my memory tells me that the '74 wiper arm connection to the post is different. (i could be completely wrong about this)
You are right - pre 74' have thicker wiper arm connection, later have thinner, here you have photo's for comparison
DSC03409.JPG
DSC02495.JPG

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it would very interesting to see what pivot that BMW is selling right now from either turner or rogers ... i suspect its for a '74, which means that you would have to buy black wiper arms as well if you have an older car.

Rek

Reaction score
Mine is a '71 CS. It looks like the later ones are much more robust. I wonder whether a simple upgrade will do. I doubt thew geometry has changed.

Wladek

Reaction score
Mine is a '71 CS. It looks like the later ones are much more robust. I wonder whether a simple upgrade will do. I doubt thew geometry has changed.
Had both types - frame is the same, all hardware is the same, just different pivots (wiper mount area).
Earlier type - have aluminium sprocket, while later as you can see have chromed steel. It hard to say about robust, i think much depends on overall car condition, but have to say that later type i had was in much worse condition than earlier type. Later wiper arms also have ugly plastic covers for mounting nut that after couple years might break or discolor.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I like this screw mod, I wonder if this can be done from the other side to remain hidden? I'm paranoid about losing a wiper, twice the drivers side has popped off but fortunately both both times landed at the base of the windshield so I could recover.

Hey Steve - Coming home from the Vintage last year Tom (BMWSKI) lost a his driver's side wiper in the deluge. We moved his passenger side wiper to the driver's side and put some wire around it to get us home. Tom then came up with a pretty nice fix for this. He removed the wiper, flipped it over and drilled a hole straight through the top of the area that secures the wiper. This hole was directly in the center of the portion of the arm that goes over the pivot. He then installed the wiper on the car and used the hole in the arm to drill a hole in the center of the pivot, threaded this hole, and installed a black screw straight down into the pivot.

I have my wipers safety wired on for now, but plan to implement Tom's fix at some point.

Rek

Reaction score
Hey Steve - Coming home from the Vintage last year Tom (BMWSKI) lost a his driver's side wiper in the deluge. We moved his passenger side wiper to the driver's side and put some wire around it to get us home. Tom then came up with a pretty nice fix for this. He removed the wiper, flipped it over and drilled a hole straight through the top of the area that secures the wiper. This hole was directly in the center of the portion of the arm that goes over the pivot. He then installed the wiper on the car and used the hole in the arm to drill a hole in the center of the pivot, threaded this hole, and installed a black screw straight down into the pivot.

I have my wipers safety wired on for now, but plan to implement Tom's fix at some point.

Ha ha - that is exactly my 'bodge' which seems to be holding well for now.