WTB - wood trunk panel over spare tire

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Guys,

i'm in the middle of recovering my trunk panels with new elephant skin and the cover over my spare tire is severely (terminally) cracked. so i am curious if anybody who has broken a coupe apart has a decent wood panel for this location? i am going to recover it, so i don't care what condition that the elephant skin is in.

please send me a PM and let me know if you have one.
many thanks

scott

yeah, i know i could do that, but i was hoping somebody would have a decent piece of wood. making one has the issue of finding the right thickness of wood so that they match up height wise

Wood panel.

Hi.
If you haven't found one yet I will make one up forn you for the cost of wood and shipping which shoul be no more than $15 to $20.
Let me know.
Koopman

well the ones that i were going to buy turned out to be for a 74, which is shorter that the more common '73 and older version. so i am looking for a reasonably priced - either single panel for above the spare tire (uncracked) ... or for a full set if you don't want to break up a set.

i say reasonable because in the last 3 years i have seen 1 complete set - sold by Amy (coupelady) for between 20 + 30 bucks a panel - sold individually, and another nice single panel sold on ebay (gas tank piece if i remember correctly) last year for 35 bucks. i was offered a set for 100 bucks a piece, and perhaps i am wrong ... but they aren't worth that much.

you guys tell me if i'm wrong ...

I can say based on my experience that those trunk boards get the worst part of the car care seen on a coupe. With leaky seals and careless treatment making them into something more like limp cardboard. Even good ones for some reason don't seem to have much value, most people choosing to make them with new plywood. Easy enough to do given a good pattern piece. As for value, I would be pleased to get $35-$50 if I did have some that had usable plywood even without good elephant skin.

But if one had a complete set, with original skin in good condition, it would probably be worth a few hundred bucks for originality's sake. Alternatively, the plywood's cheap, you have the elephant skin, and folks have offered to give you a pattern. I don't see the issue.

Chapa,

1st, there is a slight difference in thickness between metric plywood and 1/4" plywood ... so the thickness variation bothers me as they won't sit flush - i mocked it up.

you think a set of the wood (3 pieces) is worth a couple of hundred bucks ... i do not, and one of the used resellers has stated that he hasn't experienced significant value in good ones either.

I am happy to buy the single panel over the wheel well or the entire set. i will buy the panel(s) with no skin or skin in any condition for a reasonable price. As i have mentioned to you previously, in the last 2 years one complete set was sold in pieces (on this forum) and 1 piece was sold on ebay - each panel sold for less than $50 each. not a big market for them. I have also been told by another member that has a couple of coupes that the fit of these panels does vary from car to car, in order to put a set of better panels in a different coupe, he had to remove the skin and trim the wood slightly in the curved sections so that it would fit properly - a full days work. This is another reason that these panels aren't worth a tremendous amount (in my humble opinion).

Your opinion is as good or better than mine. Good luck with your search.

We are in the process right now of building numerous sets with new gray trimming foil and replated hardware.
Time consuming to say the least, with cutting , sanding, salvaging and glass beading metal parts and making the proper dimension wood for under neath.

If anyone is interested in parts we have templates of the early cars and the late cars.
It requires approximately 3 meters of the Trimming Foil at $50.00 / Meter

Mario L.

Back