WTS Getrag 265/5 CR (Dogleg) (SOLD)

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm trying to fund a home improvement project so my 265/5 swap into my Pagoda is a casualty. I purchased this unit from user buddha here -- it came from a '79 Euro 635CSi that was wrecked. It has not been tested, just sitting around since I bought it. I paid $3k for it but I'm not sure what these go for these days. I would love to get $3k back out OBO. Happy to meet within 3-4hrs of Vero Beach, FL or I can crate it and ship. PRICE REDUCED TO $2800

If you're a Pagoda owner and want to do a Getrag swap or know someone who does, I am happy to sell my unused swap kit (adapter plate, extra bell housing, etc and will even include a blank bakelite shift knob that I intended to laser engrave with the dogleg shift pattern). IIRC I paid about $1100 for it from the maker, happy to part for $500. It is very straight forward but comes with instructions on a CD should you need. FYI these really are meant for later 250/280SLs, not sure about the later 230, but some additional parts are needed for early 230...

Attachments

• 20240528_090250.jpg
    20240528_090250.jpg
    596.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20240528_090303.jpg
    20240528_090303.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240528_090319.jpg
    20240528_090319.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240528_090338.jpg
    20240528_090338.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240528_090455.jpg
    20240528_090455.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240528_091832.jpg
    20240528_091832.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240528_092017.jpg
    20240528_092017.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240528_092024.jpg
    20240528_092024.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey Arde, here's some pics of the transmission as well as swap kit to anyone interested. It currently has fluid in it. As for the car, I haven't taken any recent photos of it since it has received quite a few hidden modifications. It is over at a shop having some springs installed. I hope to have current photos some time in June. Nonetheless, here's two old ones before those undersized tires were corrected and before I reupholstered it. Nothing I did is irreversible and I have retained the original parts when possible. As for what has happened...
  1. Mechatronik suspension (KW shocks and progressive springs)
  2. Polyurethane suspension bushings and sway bar bushings
  3. 28.5mm custom sway bar from Addco (also retained old bar)
  4. Coco mats (front, trunk, rear ledge)
  5. Uncommon Zimber wood-rimmed steering wheel made specifically for the 230SL (purchased from Russ/CSL177 here) (old white 'ivory' wheel retained)
  6. Rear end swap to disc brake-equipped 4.08 (which is the stock gearing, old axle w/ drums also included, apparently the drums are somewhat valuable but need to be relined) (the axle was rebuilt with new bushings etc)
  7. LSD
  8. Aurora radio w/ Becker faceplate (car was not equipped with radio from factory)
  9. "Soft" LEDs all around (I am particular about LEDs that are too bright)
  10. Euro lights (came with US lights which are now stored away)
  11. 123 Ignition
  12. Cupholder tray insert
  13. New square-weave carpet from GAT (now GAHH?)
  14. New interior using nice vegetable-tanned leather from KHM
  15. New horsehair inserts (with holes for headrests if one is so inclined)
  16. While not currently installed, I had some custom billet wheels made by a company in the UK that specializes in D-type replica wheels. They are 15x6 with the correct offset and everything, powdercoated the body color and with a faux rudge-like wheel cover. This guy used to make wheels for some 300SL replicar made in Germany some years ago and says a limo/ambulance wheel cover (the 15.6" one?) or the dog dish 230SL hub cap can be easily adapted to it. I was inspired by the original Paul Bracq concept drawings of the car, which called for Rudge wheels.
  17. Equipped with 5 totally unused Vredestein Sprint Classics in the proper size mounted on the 14" stock wheel
  18. After painstakingly removing the old tar-based vibration deadener in the floor (used dry ice and WD40 mostly and can include some very rust-free bare shots of the floor) I had the upholstery shop instal some material from a company called ResoNix that makes various kinds of insulation for automotive audiophiles, including CLD squares (iirc a sort of mass-loaded vinyl) on the floors and a 45mm thick fiber mat within the doors (I was not satisfied with various paint-like solutions which I personally believe are hogwash)
  19. Many misc bushings/boots/rubber whatnots I replaced (namely around the shifter, shock pads, some other places)
  20. New firewall pad (purely for aesthetic reasons, these are less than useless imo)
  21. New washer fluid reservoir (didn't like yellow plastic of old one)
  22. EDIT: Forgot to mention I installed a stainless exhaust system from Quicksilver.
Some misc things I'd include with it:
  1. Some odd yellow Euro headlight lenses I found on eBay
  2. The "230SL" designation originally on the radio delete plate which the son of the original owner had for some reason drilled into the old glovebox (faceplate was not salvageable but those are very cheaply available, yet the badge is not, so I have it) (new glove box was also sourced and painted)
  3. Every bit of documentation the original owner ever had on it (I purchased from the grandson, a banker in Indiana who is not a car guy) which includes the three big blue workshop manuals, correspondence leading up to the tourist delivery in Germany, the box the first oil filter came in, service booklet (stops at like 77k mi, car has like 82k(?) now various brochures original to the car, the original invoice, and much more.
  4. Some Marchal headlights I also purchased from CSL177 as well as some deadstock plastic covers for them (one split when I put it on though alas)
  5. I may still have the rubber mats it came with but not so sure about that
  6. A fan shroud that was supposed to fit this car but apparently doesn't, maybe because some modification was made to the radiator since it does not match the one in the workshop manual (saving it because these aren't cheap!)
  7. There may be more I am not thinking of
Some basic info about it and its condition:
Car was purchased by a businessman in Lebanon, IN and used for springtime pleasure driving, something specifically noted to me by his grandson, as he apparently had a 190SL prior to this which basically rusted away after many commutes to/around Chicago. He passed in the 70s(?) and left it to his son, who almost never drove it except in local Shriners parades in Indiana (I have various badges/grille inserts). I believe it has been repainted at some point. Someone rattlecanned the valve cover and fuel injection lines a silver color, which irks me, and I intend to strip all the crud out of the engine bay at some point (planned a dry ice detail when I get the car back). There is a dent in the rear bumper. The top appears new. There is no hard top, and it was not originally equipped with one. I tossed the crappy aftermarket antenna and I intend to find one of the period-correct motorized retractable ones, though tbh I am inclined to just fill the hole and put a new delete plate over the radio and install a hidden bluetooth module. I have seen no rust anywhere on it at all. Interior wood is in excellent condition. All glass appears to be original, no cracks anywhere. I mean, to me, this is a nice car, and before I did anything, it drove very well, even with the squeaky drums. Car was not originally equipped with AC or power steering and I did not add it.

As an aside, something I'd consider doing whenever I have less projects is swapping the brakes with those from a W126, adding an oil cooler, adding a 7 or 9-blade fan in lieu of the 4-blade one, the transmission swap, a sourcing/restoring a hard top, collecting accessories like ski racks and such, and swapping the head to one from an M129 after porting/polishing or "just" swapping the engine with a Cosworth M102 (then it's still a "230" SL!)

Bottom line, I don't know how serious you were about wanting it, but I have done a lot to make this car 'mine', and I have no idea what it is worth at this point. If I were to sell, I would throw it on BaT with a reserve of 45 or so, maybe hoping for around 60 based on some recent sales I've seen.

Attachments

• 20240528_090354.jpg
    20240528_090354.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20230116_000926604_iOS.jpg
    20230116_000926604_iOS.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20221126_183202403_iOS.jpg
    20221126_183202403_iOS.jpg
    653.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 20230117_162945861_iOS.jpg
    20230117_162945861_iOS.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 20230127_201053498_iOS.jpg
    20230127_201053498_iOS.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 20221118_210110875_iOS.jpg
    20221118_210110875_iOS.jpg
    637.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is a beautiful car and an impressive list of improvements. Always wanted one of these but never got serious about even learning the basics.... I think it is fair that if you sell you benefit from the auction exposure to maximize the outcome.

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For the record- seller is selling the coveted Close Ratio, Dogleg, Sport transmission.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great looking W113! I finished a restoration on a 71 in the same exterior color. I sold it to buy my coupe. They are beautiful cars but, in my opinion, handle like crap compared to an e9. Never had that much fun driving it but if got a lot of compliments - especially from the ladies.

So many things I like better about vintage BMWs vs. vintage Mercs. One is the great names BMW has for all their colors. I searched and searched and could not find the name of the blue on my Pagada, it was just called Mercedes Blue. One article called the color Squadron Blue - who knows. o_O

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great looking W113! I finished a restoration on a 71 in the same exterior color. I sold it to buy my coupe. They are beautiful cars but, in my opinion, handle like crap compared to an e9. Never had that much fun driving it but if got a lot of compliments - especially from the ladies.

So many things I like better about vintage BMWs vs. vintage Mercs. One is the great names BMW has for all their colors. I searched and searched and could not find the name of the blue on my Pagada, it was just called Mercedes Blue. One article called the color Squadron Blue - who knows. o_O
Thanks! The color code is DB334 ("Hellblau") on the original data card. And gosh, sometimes I do wish I bought an E9, though being as close to the ocean as I am, maybe it was for the best that I didn't. Have you ever seen Paul Bracq's Pagoda-like roadster he designed for BMW? See this post by Erik: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/paul-bracq-history.39005/ There's some interesting line drawings also out there. Interesting what-if -- a pagoda with, say, an M10 and no swing axle. Bracq also had conceived of a "300SLX," a pagoda-based 300SL successor. Some interesting info in here which maybe you've seen: https://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/automotive-history-paul-bracq-part-one/

I agree with you on your perception of Mercedes vs BMW products of the time. While Mercedes QC and general build quality is fantastic to my eyes, their patriarchal sort of attitude towards their customer got in their own way, I think. The modern-day fandoms for most Benz products are weirdly dour and can't quit with the insipid high-browning, at least in my experience. Reminds me of audiophile forums. Noted exception is clubgwagen. The pagoda is just a very atypical car for that company, and it's only a matter of time before they are targeted for true 'outlaw'-type conversions. That moniker would fit the car a lot more than the dime-a-dozen modded Porsches, I think!