Yet another '76 3.0 Si intro...

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
Hello fellow gluttons for punishment, I too (Along with Matt(FjordTempo)) picked up a one owner CA 3.0 Si that has been sitting in storage for longer than it's been actually on the road. It was originally bought in L.A. and used as a commuter to work car, and since his son, who got frustrated anytime he would ride with him at his dad's lack of manual transmission operating skills, decided to just store it once he retired. After 20 year of storage and his father passing, the son decided to resurrect the beast and start driving it. The head had a broken water passage that was at this point just broken through to the outside, so he took it upon himself to have the head repaired. I guess the damage was too extensive and it cracked again in a couple of hundred miles so he went ahead and replaced the head. While doing so, he also replaced a lot of little things like the fuel pump, water pump, and battery, and gave it a respray(color change) of Alpine Weis. Of course, he got busy with other things, and didn't put the engine back together right away, and it sat for a few months waiting for the fuel injection, etc to get put back on. One day while doing some home improvement work, specifically in the garage, he dropped a floor speaker from the rafters onto the front windshield and shattered it. That was five years ago.
It was then that he got so emotionally overwhelmed by the fact that he killed his dad's car, that he couldn't bring himself to finish it. Time passing and family requiring the garage space, he finally decided it was time and offered it for sale. A few people came by and made ridiculous offers, and he declined. I, being of unsound mind and really liking this body style, gave him a call and decided to have a look at it. What I saw was a dusty sedan, who had not seen the light of day in a while.
Circling the car many times, opening every door, looking under every piece of carpet, looking underneath every wheel arch and rocker panel, I saw a true time capsule, with no rust. One owner, CA Polaris 3.0 5 speed with red interior and low miles. Everything electrical works. Interior has no rips for cracks in the seats. Carpet is perfect. Dash is almost perfect. This car had no issues whatsoever that I could see, all original.
I drove my e28, with the same color combo as his, and seeing this, he immediately was talking about how he wished this 3.0 had the same care that was put into mine and was back on the road.
He could see that I was an enthusiast and not a car flipper, so we talked about the car's history easily, and he hoped that I could give it the life he wanted for it. Although I was sickened by the idea of painting over Polaris with white, we started talking dollars and sense. He didn't bring up the other offers he got, but that they weren't anywhere near his asking price. I realize buying a non running car is always a gamble, and he knew that, I offered what I thought was a fair, non insulting bid. He countered with a bid $100 less than mine. It was surreal, but I agreed.
AAA called to the rescue, and I took it home.
FjordTempo and I went in as equal partners, both buying replacement parts as needed, since we will either decide that one of us wants to keep it and will buy the other one out, or we finish it and decide to offer it to another enthusiast - after enjoying it for a while that is...
Besides deciding what to do about it being a '76er, and the smog equipment that, even in working order, probably wont pass smog, retrofitting earlier chrome bumpers, and the question of whether the investment in the possibility of taking to its former Polaris glory makes sense, I think it will be a fairly easy project to get back on the road and enjoy.
I think it has the potential to shine like Luis' green '76er, I don't see the kind of high level restoration he has undergone on his for this girl.
I only have one picture of it at the moment, in the street, waiting for the flatbed, in it's dusty coat.
Since I plan on leaving anything that is original and working alone, there wont be much to see in the process, but I'll take a few more before I get too much further into finishing her.
Thanks to Murray, owner of Blue Max, who lives local and had a few bits that I needed from the multitude of e3s and e9s he's owned and had left over.
Thanks for listening, and we'll keep ya posted.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Antony,

Great background on your Si. If you need any other items from Murray just let me know, he still has the bumper parts. Add you location to your Profile too so others know where you are.

Chris

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Antony,

Interesting history on the car, not atypical for many of these cars.

Are you required to keep the smog equipment on the car in order to be legal in CA? When you get to it, I'd be interested in seeing detailed pictures of the car and engine to compare with mine.

I'm coming out for the SoCal Vintage meet in Woodley Park on 10/13, it would b e great to meet you and see the car, are you able to come? It was year at the time of the meet when I picked up my Si there but an ATF line burst on the way to the meet. I made it later in the day but without the car.

Welcome to the board and to E3 ownership!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yep, smog tests required for 76 and newer vehicles here. If you removed yours there might be someone here who would be interested, at least for 2002s which are much more numerous that is the case.

Chris

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
These are really great cars

I drove a variety of E3 until the late 1980's. With a few mods, they were more than good enough that non-car enthusiasts didn't realize they were riding in a car that was 30 years old (until I turned on the AC, which was sub par for really hot LA summers).

The 76 Si was by far the most comfortable of all the E3's I had, and once I ditched the 3.0 with air injectors for a 3.3l stage 1 with sidedrafts, it was also finally a "fast" car (relative to anything else but a Corvette or Porsche 944/911).

GOod luck with the restoration. These were ground breaking sports sedans and I'm glad people still appreciate them.

John

P.S. A sports steering wheel from the early 5 series makes a cheap/quick dressup. I used to get them for under $50 from a guy that hung out on the corner of Vermont (south central LA) near USC. He also had nice radios for not much $

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Love it, Chamonix is so inobtrusive on the road, and the red interior's great for the up-close "wow". The bumpers so many comment on can be tucked in some, making them less obtrusive and still offer conforming protection, you'll be amazed at how that 2" difference looks. You're in CA, yes? Give Carl at Bimmerdoc/LaJolla Independent a call and ask him about that bumper mod. if it sounds interesting to you.

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
Ok, so we are pretty close to getting this gal back on the road after a ten plus year hibernation. No exhaust past the down pipe, so it will be a loud drive over to the muffler shop tomorrow..

IMG_0182_zps1c206dd4.jpg

BuzzBomb

Reaction score
Next stop, safety bumper removal and steel bumper conversion, and when $$ allows, taking her back to Polaris.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looking great! I have a rear bumper, rechromed, available for sale in case you are interested. PM me if interested.