Your thoughts on..

G

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Just for fun !
After reading the heated debates on what the recently sold coupes are worth or what it cost to build it etc....
I,d be curious to know what you all think a "restored coupe" is worth... ?.

The restored car for sale would have went through all the items listed below...

1 Body rust free, restored to your satisfaction
2. Fresh paint.. in your favorite color.
3 Fresh chrome and trim
4 All new interior ,carpet wood,upholstery etc.. in your favorite color.
5 New rubber
6 Fresh mechanics engine etc..,all new oem suspension,or uprated.
7 Either 4 or 5 speed or auto
8 Has the wheels and tires you like
9 Its your favorite model cs or csi,csl
10 Has all the options you like..EX ..Sunroof or not, electric windows a.c etc...

Pretty much a total resto.
What is such a car worth to you ?

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK - I'll bite. These are just my "guesstimates" and have no basis in reality.

CSL- US$110K
CSi- US $55K
CS- US $55K

These take cost of good basic car without much rust repair, add paint, mechanicals, trim and most labor.

Why do you ask?

tmason

Reaction score
I'll agree with glenn on the CSL but on an CS somewhere more towards the low end of 40's. It's hard to pay alot with so many nice cars today. My buddy just purchased 2010 911 4S for alot less than a CSL and there is NO RUST ISSUES just hit that magic heat/cool my seat button and drive all year long!

jmackro

Reaction score
I'll agree with glenn on the CSL but on an CS somewhere more towards the low end of 40's.

I think Glenn was quoting numbers for acquiring and restoring coupes - not the prices for finished cars. He followed his three numbers by saying: "These take cost of good basic car without much rust repair, add paint, mechanicals, trim and most labor."

Glenn's numbers look OK to me. The fact that it would cost $55K to acquire a decent CS and restore it, while a finished CS could be bought for "the low end of 40's", demonstrates that restoration seldom makes financial sense.

I hope everyone understands that these numbers are approximate. It is easy to spend a lot more on a restoration. A lot depends on how much rust your car has to start with, your body shop's hourly rate, and how much upholstery and reassembly you do yourself vs. contract out.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To me buying a coupe that satisfies 1 through 10 is almost like buying a new car, and may not offer much opportunity to leave your footprint on the masterpiece. I am more of a fan of DeQuincey's model of starting with a partially solid car and then embark on perpetual improvements.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
To me buying a coupe that satisfies 1 through 10 is almost like buying a new car, and may not offer much opportunity to leave your footprint on the masterpiece. I am more of a fan of DeQuincey's model of starting with a partially solid car and then embark on perpetual improvements.

Exactly what I want. A 100% done car would not be me. I do want perfect compression, the best suspension you can get and no rust. Patina is what I desire.

execmalibu

Reaction score
How about this E9 for the cost of the restoration...

1970 2800CS Original Calif Car... A very nice restored to original condition E9. 3-4 years ago repainted the Original color (Riviera Blue) with restored black leather front seats and new wood. Replaced Cylinder Head with Weber carbs and the car is an original 4 Speed. Runs and drives great with NO RUST. Chrome is nice and rubber was all replaced. Complete original tool kit also.

Not really motivated in selling but if offered what it would cost to buy a rust free E9 then do a similar/nice full restoration I might consider around $42,500...

Attachments

• 2800CS.jpg
    2800CS.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 2800CS INT.jpg
    2800CS INT.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 2800 TOOLS.jpg
    2800 TOOLS.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you don't mind two more doors, you sure can get an amazing Bavaria for 6K. Tough machine the Bavaria.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
That perfect car question

Hi Guys,
Just for fun !
After reading the heated debates on what the recently sold coupes are worth or what it cost to build it etc....
I,d be curious to know what you all think a "restored coupe" is worth... ?.

Pretty much a total resto.
What is such a car worth to you ?

I've taken a slightly different route to possibly the same outcome. Rather than looking at what the finished car would cost - since I'm not sure what the finished car and it's implied wish list includes - I'm working with what I will spend each winter on doing specific projects to get me that perfect (my version of perfect) car. The CS/CSi/CSL body I hold as sacrosanct but everything else is fair game.

Priorities include weight reduction and balance, chassis stiffening, handling and braking and lastly acceleration (power) - all of this in roughly that order. With the exception of the last item each of these projects will eat up about $2,500 and one winter on average. I get as much satisfaction and enjoyment in the tinkering end of things as the driving - comes with the climate. Note that nothing is budgeted for body work or paint which I hope will be more of a choice to do than a necessity.

I started with a very good car for $20k that was the product of someone else's hard work and money (thanks and sorry TJ) and had already taken a hard turn towards performance at the cost of originality. Lot's of mid '80's 5 and 6 series in the drive train and a very red interior (world's most comfortable seats). I've spent an additional $5,000 or so in the last 6 years on minor tweaks (amazing how that adds up one dollar at a time) but most of the money went to an EFI conversion/programable engine management system and extensive seam welding and half roll cage. The welding course I'm taking will mean all of the remaining seam welding will be my job though any additional cage work will still get farmed out. Other welding (body work) may be within reach with practise.

End of the day I expect to hit about $30,000 by 2014 which would be the first decade of ownership but I will have had 10 years of entertainment and education on top of a fun car to drive or just to stare at in the petting zoo (my wife's name for the garage). My own self taught, trial and error labour isn't included but even at a dollar an hour it would add thousands to the cost. I'm sure that another $10k will find it's way into the beast after the mechanical side of things are dealt with.

So my answer is $40,000 for that perfect car. Sort of.

Doug

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Doug, keep a fire extinguisher handy for the winter welding. The Petting Zoo...Ha. I haven't named my garage, but it is 8 minutes from home in a dodgy part of Toronto. Inside I have 4 amps, 8 speakers, guitar, fridge, welding room, woodworking room, car room, office, heat,ac and an incinerating toilet (in other words I can Hole up there) An E9 would be something to pet over the winter.
I have a feeling the price of E9's is going up for the time being, while the economy might be poised for going down another notch. It is hard to add a price to the time pondering and tinkering and improving projects. Reality would not be kind. I have a 20K 1999 Miata I have to get out the door. I'd have a hard time getting 13 for it. Just figuring what it cost will remain a secret to my non car loving friends.