Are your sons & daughters or nieces / nephews into cars?

Into cars?

• Definitely

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Not Really

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Yes as kids, not really as adults

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • No as kids, more so as adults

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

gwittman

Reaction score
I have three nephews that are for sure into cars. One of them likes racing them. That is drag racing, auto cross, closed-circuit road racing and mud racing. Mostly Vintage American muscle.

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score
Neither of my two children were/are really 'into cars', (son wanted and had a VW bug in HS, now in mid-50's has a Tesla and a Camaro so he is kind of into them!). Daughter just wants/needs 'transportation'.

My grandson (son's youngest son) is now 20 and definitely into cars. He just bought a 1st year Miata that he is planning to restore. Will be doing so while he's studying architecture and also employed by an architectural firm. We have dinner together every few weeks to discuss his project.
Don't think Gen Y/Z are into cars much. Heck, they don't even want to DRIVE cars until maybe into their 20s and only if they HAVE to.
I have 3 boys aged 10-14. My plan is to get 3 vintage cars for them as part of their inheritance. The oldest doesn’t even want to drive - he’d rather take the bus. I thought that wouldn’t last long after he started bussing to school by himself. I thought the novelty would wear off especially on those cold winter mornings, but hasn’t at all…
The middle son is the one who wants the E9 and loves being picked up from school
In it. The youngest wants the Porsche…

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My girls are in their twenties now but both drive manual, got their licenses on their 16th birthdays, and are into cars.

The E39 M5 needed new tires when one was 16...

Her daily driver during High School... She put some sweat into it before that. See attached.
20160311_105423.jpg

The other one paid her dues on her Blazer, then took it to college in upstate New York.
Blazer_21.JPG

The neighbor kid up the street showed interest from a young age. I taught him to drive manual in my 67 Camaro and took him to car shows. When he got old enough to drive he talked his parents into getting him a new Camaro. He isn't taking a car to college first year but it is parked up the street for when he comes home.

20140418_173136.jpg

Cars are so good today it's hard to make a case for old cars as transportation. She still has the Impala but it is not longer her main driver. The Blazer was kinda a POS and has been replaced by a Tesla but she has the silver e9 CSE. Regardless, I think the hobby is in good hands.

969.jpg

Attachments

• Xmas2012_27c.JPG
    Xmas2012_27c.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Blazer_6.JPG
    Blazer_6.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Blazer_21.JPG
    Blazer_21.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Blazer_78.jpg
    Blazer_78.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 57
  • AllisonAndBlazer.JPG
    AllisonAndBlazer.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 48
  • FSGreasy.JPG
    FSGreasy.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 47
  • ABPlanning.JPG
    ABPlanning.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 46
  • RearSpeaker1.JPG
    RearSpeaker1.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Dynamat4.JPG
    Dynamat4.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 54

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Working in the auto industry at the OEM level, my kids loved to try every car I brought home. It didn't matter if it was a VIP's Alfa Giulia or the worst cobbled-together proto hack job I had to work with. They both love seeing, touching, and sitting in whatever I bring home. My youngest (now 3) knows the coupe as the 'old blue car' and wants to get in it every chance she can get. The oldest has fond memories of going to the Detroit auto show for a few years (pre-COVID) and loves to come with me to look at cars.

Time will tell if they want to keep enjoying cars.

I can tell you at work, there's no shortage of enthusiast kids, but there's very few that do their own wrenching. Some of that is where a lot of them live (apartments, cities, etc.) but most of them find the hands-on work to be very intimidating.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What is better? When I die who to I leave the E9 to, both kids love the car.
Son- Will modify the car and make it a retromod.
Daughter- Will not do anything keeping it original but also not do anything including changing oil

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As I'm not in the adult child-having age bracket, I'll comment on the rest of my family...

... practically none of them are interested in cars, though my late brother was. My sister thought she might be, because things like VW buses and FJ cruisers are cute, but the realities are not so much, so her interest waned. By the time I'm ready to have children and they are grown, my little SL will be like 80 or even 90 years old. Weird to think about. An 80-90 year old car now is a true antique that is barely drivable in modern traffic. I'm hopeful by then that modifying vehicles to be better performing, safer, etc gains more traction, rather than mummifying a car, which I feel just alienates people who otherwise like the styling but just don't get the fastidiousness over mechanical originality.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
As I'm not in the adult child-having age bracket

Meh, Just sounds like you are being responsible. Generally if you are old enough to drive you have no problem pumping out kids whether you want to or not. :D

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Meh, Just sounds like you are being responsible. Generally if you are old enough to drive you have no problem pumping out kids whether you want to or not. :D
Who has the money for kids these days, anyway? I have, like, engine swaps to pay for.