Big warning on Cohline fuel hose. We are replacing all Cohline 2122 we have installed.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm currently replacing the fuel hoses/lines in my coupe and will be using Gates Barricade hoses. Conveniently it is available at a nearby O'Reilly Auto Parts store.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve,

you are young enough to remember that it has been a year or two
Hah I wish, it's just that every year or two I have to take something apart in there so I swap in a new hose, getting that hard line to hose clamp on otherwise is not fun.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I take the other tact.... I use only ethanol free fuel in all my non-modern cars.... (that is cars younger than 30 years old).

Edit- OLDER than 30 years... LOL

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I take the other tact.... I use only ethanol free fuel in all my non-modern cars.... (that is cars younger than 30 years old).
Me too, I can get that here and my engine hasn’t seen ethanol since I went to LOTA in Hilton Head 3 years ago.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
For those of you using the Gates Barricade, how is the 8mm I.D. hose fit? The original spec is 7.3mm I.D. for "8mm" hose for a correct, tight fit.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Absolute fire hazard from defective product. Car towed in yesterday with 1 1/2 year old hose squirting gas onto the firewall.
The fabric on Cohline 2122 conceals the rapid cracking that is occuring.
This defective hose is being talked about all over the internet with Cohline refusing to acknowledge.
Are we talking about the hoses in the engine bay?

or also fuel tank side?

Dave G

Reaction score
Thanks for alerting us @sfdon! Also thanks @Luis A. for the Cohline 2240 option, however the 70mm bend radius minimum won't work for my electric fuel pump location. Bimmerforums.com has a helpful thread going into the materials and their markings on the hose. The info below was maybe 2/3 of the way down the thread. The Fluorinated polymers (includes the FPM hose markings) have some of the highest chemical and temperature resistances, including to Ethanol among others. Contitech makes BMW PN 13537563456, FPM marked, 8mm ID hose, photo below, which is available from RMEuropean.com for $23/meter (and FCP or AutohausAZ for ~$30+, or from BMW dealers for considerably more). A Bimmerforum member said his hose order came marked BMW on the reverse side - I can't confirm this yet :-

1711247816074.png

Other Continental Fluorinated elastomer fuel lines

"Fuel hoses are constructed from different layers. The one that I bought is labeled >FPM/ECO/AR/ECO< which means that it has four layers. They are from the inside to the outside:
  • FPM: Fluoroelastomer, a material that can handle fuels containing ethanol as well as bio-diesel, resistant to higher temperatures than NBR
  • ECO: Epichlorohydrin rubber
  • AR: Aramid protective braid
  • ECO: Epichlorohydrin rubber
Other common hoses are >NBR/CR< which are made of:
  • NBR: Nitrile butadiene rubber
  • CR: Chloroprene Rubber
Neither of them is submersible! For in-tank applications you need a hose that has either FPM/FKM or NBR on the inside and the outside. The printing on the hose should clearly show this, for example: >FKM/AR/FKM< from Gates or >NBR/CO/NBR< from Cohline. (CO = cotton yarn)
Whether or to what extent NBR is suitable for modern fuels is actually debatable. Here's a datasheet from Würth that warns against using NBR for automotive fuels."

Last edited: