Carpet question

kentvonseverin

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Are you gents using German square weave carpeting? Wool or synthetic?
I looked at using German square weave (wool) as It is arguably better quality, though it is quite different in appearance from the OEM carpet which is "German loop". There are a number of vendors for the carpet kits or by the yard. World Upholstery will send you samples via their web site and they have both types. ( www.worlduph.com )

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I installed German loop (Cabrio.de) when I refreshed the interior. I dont know/recall the makeup of the carpet.

I do like the square weave a lot. Although not original I think it is a better overall look. That said, there is not much of my carpet to be seen with a set of coco mats to finish off.

IMG_3367.JPG
IMG_3650.JPG

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the loop is generally synthetic loop (nylon) although you might find some that is wool - some jag or rolls colors. the square weave is looks better (richer because of the wool) IMHO, but if you are going for concours ... loop is it. i much prefer GAHH over World and i also like Cabrio over World (i bought Cabrio also because GAHH doesn't make the trunk carpet for a coupe.

some people will tell you that all of them use the same material - while there are different dye lots that will change the appearance ... i found major differences between the different charcoal / black and the tan versions from each company - some with the same names. what i can tell you is that i think GAHH has the best fit, followed closely by Cabrio. GAHH is definitely the most expensive of the 3.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well as good as my 24 is turning out. I don't know(remember) what was in it originally, it's been close to 15 years since I started a nut and bolt with it. I am getting partial to the wool square weave. I am thinking black for my Polaris car, No one has a completed set for an early E24 so I will have to buy yard goods and have it made. Everything available is for an E28 chassis. On the other hand I went to a C&C and put another 20 miles on and I am getting More comfortable with it. Since I got it running the only problem that showed up was a bad relay Chris Kohler was in charge of getting it running and it amazes me of the knowledge he has on these early carsThe C&C was disappointing as it was mainly M3s. I never see any classics between 3 C&Cs. There is one more in town that has the "goodies" but they want you to join $$$ their club before you can show a car so I pass that one on principal

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
are you positive there is a difference in the carpet patterns for an e12 based vs an e28 based? cabrio just lists e24 with no differentiation based on e12 or e28

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
E28 based cars have a different floor pan than an E12 based car. My car is an 81 which is E12 based. When I say the carpeting isn't available I am speaking of molded carpet.

Last edited:

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bert--I used the GAHH German square weave carpet with my tan interior. I always liked the square weave in the 356 Porsches. It's not original and neither is most anything in my coupe. The sisal mats are over the carpet in the first photo.

Attachments

• IMG_4275(1).jpg
    IMG_4275(1).jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bert, take a look at Cabrio.de. Been happy with mine for the E9. I don’t think you will find molded carpet for the E24. Reach out to Bob V on the e24 forum (1986series) who may be able to help.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bert--I used the GAHH German square weave carpet with my tan interior. I always liked the square weave in the 356 Porsches. It's not original and neither is most anything in my coupe. The sisal mats are over the carpet in the first photo.
Drew, you silver tongued devil, you talked me into it. Your interior is fantastic
Bert, take a look at Cabrio.de. Been happy with mine for the E9. I don’t think you will find molded carpet for the E24. Reach out to Bob V on the e24 forum (1986series) who may be able to help.
Hi Rob, I know Bob V but his car is a later one. There are more than several US retailers of wool square weave carpeting. I know that an upholstery shop with a steamer, can fit the properly cut carpet into place. I will probably start with GAHH as they did my headliner and I was well pleased with that

TomHom

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here some pics comparing the original "2-tone-Schlinge marineblau-grau" with what is available now at KHM as "marineblau"
KHM_2-Ton-Schlinge_432_dunkelblau.jpg20160224_233942.jpg20160224_230314.jpg120160224_225255.jpg20160224_225155.jpg
As you can see it´s no longer blue-grey but blue-black!

On the german forum some time ago KHM offered special winter (low season) discounts. If there are enough potential buyers I could ask them for E9coupe forum member discounts.

Thomas

Last edited:

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Has anyone installed blue carpet, either German square weave or German loop?
I am. Just finally finishing our 70 2800cs. See this post. Post 18.

We bought material from world upholstery. Used our old carpets as a pattern and sewed on our own binding. When car is done will post installed pics. Saved lots of money by doing it ourselves.

Jjs2800cs

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Drew, you silver tongued devil, you talked me into it. Your interior is fantastic

Hi Rob, I know Bob V but his car is a later one. There are more than several US retailers of wool square weave carpeting. I know that an upholstery shop with a steamer, can fit the properly cut carpet into place. I will probably start with GAHH as they did my headliner and I was well pleased with that
Bert--Thanks for the interior compliment. The German square weave is color # 503. I have the lines oriented north & south. Their driver piece that goes under your left foot is wrong! Doug McKenzie has the correct piece from GAHH and we made a template of his black carpet. They sent the correct piece. Make sure all of the pieces have the lines going the same way. They had to make a couple of sill pieces again. But it all turned out very well.

Attachments

• IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    675.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1613.jpg
    IMG_1613.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 20

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
I am. Just finally finishing our 70 2800cs. See this post. Post 18.

We bought material from world upholstery. Used our old carpets as a pattern and sewed on our own binding. When car is done will post installed pics. Saved lots of money by doing it ourselves.

Jjs2800cs
Here are a few photos showing square weave carpet in our 2800cs

Thanks
jjs2800cs

DSC02945.JPG

DSC02948.JPG

DSC02932.JPG

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
Does anyone have the patterns to be able to reproduce a set?
Use your old set if you have it. Retracing can be difficult to get close. But then again it's a carpet, not a body panel, so will have some latitude when fitting. The hard part is to sew on the binding. Unless you have an industrial sewing machine, you probably can't sew it with your wife's machine. Of course can always take it to a upholstery shop.
Jjs2800cs