hood torsion spring mechanism, break and renew

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As deQuincey wrote, you will have two pairs once you buy a new torsion arm & spring assembly. That is, as long as you haven't already thrown out your old assembly!

But as deQuincey went on to say, the "belt and suspenders" solution would be to mill new L brackets out of 1/4" chrome moly steel.
Stan's new cottage industry offering ...

new L brackets. what's the price going to be for these unobtanium pieces made in a more robust manner?

don't you love how rumors get started ... seriously though ... i think there is a market for these ... both e9 and e3.

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Following up on this thread (7.5 years later...). I've built a similar tool, but each time I wind up the part that interacts with the spring assembly, it wants to work its way to a perilous angle slightly out of the tube, and ultimately, the entire assembly pops off like a mouse trap.

Anyone have any other suggestions for winding up the torsion bar that will keep the assembly in the tube?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I made L brackets from 1/8th inch rebar from Home Depot. I made 2 for each side and made the "L" longer on the bottom so if it angled, it still was catching. ...You can use the extra rebar, drill 2 holes and add two M6 bolts/nuts to create the same type of tool DeQ shows (that's just info to share, know you made the tool already).

My 72 Bavaria mechanism is different and had no "L" brackets. I had to use a small "C" clamp after one screw was in, to rotate the mechanism to position it for the second screw.