My Coupe Project

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi
Very amazing work, looking fantastic
What do you use for dying? I am also trying to make a complete red interior, using blue and brown pieces

Kai
Denmark

Kai,

Our local paint store is able to match the color of the leather and make a solvent based dye which they put in a spray can. I believe it is an SEM product and when done correctly can be quite durable.

Mike,

Very nicely done. Regarding the chrome trim pieces that Scott asked about - they probably won't fit due to the enlargement of the arm rests by the thickness of the leather.

Hi Gary,

I wasn't planning on using the chrome base for the door pull though I do like the detail. Scott was referring to the polished decorative metal strips that run along the panels.

Can you post pictures of one of your door panels? I would like to see how they turned out!!!

Thank you!
Mike

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mike,

Very nicely done. Regarding the chrome trim pieces that Scott asked about - they probably won't fit due to the enlargement of the arm rests by the thickness of the leather.

I have leather covered arm rests on the car I bought and the chrome trim pieces were not present. SO - I bought the trim pieces. When I went to install them after dyeing the leather in the car to a different color, I discovered the arm rests would not fit in the depressions in the chrome trim.

I like the leather covered arm rests. Another e9 Forum member now has the trim pieces!

negatory - not the chrome trims i was talking about ... i was referring to the linear trims, one that goes full width from front to back above the map pocket, and the one that goes behind the armrest. i think even that one will fit with the leather on the armrest. the plates that are for an e3 ... nope

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mike,

You asked for some pictures of the leather armrests. These were originally done in 1987, when the car was completely restored/customized by the owner. He liked grey interiors, so he had all new leather and carpet done in monochrome medium grey. The shop that did the restoration specialized in Ferrari restorations and did excellent work (they had previously restored one of the CS owner's Ferraris, which went to Pebble Beach Concours and was a trophy winner there). All the leather was still very soft and pliable after 28 years, when I bought the car last May.

I prefer tan/black interiors, so I've changed the carpet to the OE e9 black, and have dyed or am dyeing all the interior leather to a Mercedes Bamboo color. So,that is what you see in these pictures.

Keep up the good work, your car is going to be beautiful.

Attachments

• leather arm rest 008.jpg
    leather arm rest 008.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 255
  • leather arm rest 009.jpg
    leather arm rest 009.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 218
  • leather arm rest 010.jpg
    leather arm rest 010.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 238
  • leather arm rest 011.jpg
    leather arm rest 011.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 248

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Time for some exhaust

The coupe took a ride to the exhaust shop for a new exhaust system. A little ride on the tow truck and now a little time at the exhaust shop.

I can barely take a picture while the car is on the ground so why would I expect to be able to take anything decent while its in the air?

Down pipes, and o2 sensor.

I was trying to get a shot of the exhaust.

Last edited:

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
so Mike,

what kind of stainless exhaust is that? custom or something else

W&N sells it, take a look at their Coupe exhausts and you will see it listed as a complete set.

I had to have custom down pipes, and cross pipe made since I have non factory headers.

I would like the recommendation to that shop. I live in LA.

It is a place called Orange County Muffler in Costa Mesa, also known as B&F.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks fantastic! Did you buy that headliner from somewhere or is it custom-made by Juan? I'm in need of a new headliner too..

Cheers,

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
rediculous that I was forced to forced to wear a race snood while working on his car.
Bryl cream does NOT stain anything.
Hmmmpf

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don, thank you for coming down this weekend! Your help was quite amazing and extremely appreciated. I feel like we took many steps forward and that you accomplished quite a bit. Lets see what happens in the next week or so.