No way to treat a lady.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Having made the mistake of powder coating my prepared trim with clear and being really disappointed with the result a clear finish gave, thick looking, dull and with air pockets due to the fact that the strips are cast and release gas when heated that shows as air bubbles trapped in the clear coat, don't opt for that option.
I have sourced a clear 2 pac designed for polished aluminium, but have yet to use it so cannot say if it's good or not...

Made by Mipa CA Clear

I got mine thru Mipa Granville Sydney 02 9760 0030

Good luck. John

Thanks mate, I'll shoot them a query about our requirements.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
A nasty job finished. Stripped all the old wiring tape off but the 40 year old tape had discarded its gummy adhesive from the tape onto the wiring so I cleaned each strand. Took about 20 hours and about 130 meters of tape.
Dynamat dynamat everywhere. Double layers in doors and rear window recesses. One layer on trunk side of rear seat bulkhead and another layer inside the car plus Dynaliner on BH and floor under the rear seats.
Trans tunnel, engine bulkhead and foot well will have the same treatment. Checking clearances for things such as the refurbed heater box before adding Dynaliner on top of the Dynamat. Looks patchy, and the pic shows only a partial fitment, but this stuff is expensive so I try to use it all. It will mostly be covered by carpet and paneling anyway. You can see the newly taped wiring in the under dash pic. Working out where it all goes is a challenge because it was in a box that came with the car and the rest of the pieces.
It must be obvious by now that I want a quiet and cool car.

Attachments

• Old wiring tape.jpg
    Old wiring tape.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 345
  • Old wiring.jpg
    Old wiring.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 343
  • Dynamat.jpg
    Dynamat.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 339
  • Refurbed heater.jpg
    Refurbed heater.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Another excellent job from Bela. I would also like to publicly thank Bela for his efforts above and beyond the usual dash restoration. I won't go into details but suffice to say make sure that when you send Bela your dash declare the value as zero otherwise you will run the gamut of Hungarian customs and payable duties. Thanks to Bela however I will hopefully recover the duties as the item comes under "return to sender after repairs" and therefore duties are refunded.

Köszönöm Béla

Attachments

• DSCF3999.jpg
    DSCF3999.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 278

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update on a slow moving project. These are before shots as the car is now at the trimmers for a complete interior fit out. Will post pics when it comes back. Using Bentley leather from Germany and found a place there that does a very close rendition of the original 73 basket weave embossing for those parts of the door cards and seat centers.
Engine waiting to go in along with refurbed 265. Lots o dynamat and dynaliner. Double on the doors, trans tunnel, fire wall plus paint on sound deadener in the wheel wells and parts of the under body.
Pics show new Bela dash, deQ air con console and new vinyl dash parts fitted. Still getting it to fit evenly and without gaps. When you pull one of these cars apart it's actually quite a shock to see how crudely some of it was made and fitted originally. I done a lot of fabricating new and hopefully better clips, brackets etc.
If anyone has an opinion - I quite like the 73 bread loaf style head rests over the later "Wolverine" hair style ones with the swept up sides. I have both types, what do you think? My car can go either way as it is a cross over 73 / 74. Some elements of the car are original 73 such as the aforementioned embossing however the wiring is 74 switches and connectors throughout.
Next job is to rebuild the power steering pump and box. Hi ho, hi ho, etc etc.

Attachments

• DSCF4007.JPG
    DSCF4007.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 265
  • DSCF4016.JPG
    DSCF4016.JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 279
  • DSCF4014.JPG
    DSCF4014.JPG
    432 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCF4013.JPG
    DSCF4013.JPG
    355.7 KB · Views: 294

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The breadloaf headrests were on 2800CS coupes and the 73 all had the Wolverine as you call it, as did 72 I thought.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's turning out so nice, so fresh and so beautiful! Very nice work.
In my opinion I would go with the wolverine style headrests, especially if the interior color is light.

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay that makes sense as I have some extra things that were thrown in with this car when I bought it. The extras are from an art car project which used a 2800CS as a base; mentioned in a previous post on this thread .
So it has to be the wolverines then.
What year did the basket weave run to?

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Long time coming - new rear seats, roof lining, carpet, front and rear glass in. Sigh of relief with the new front screen not causing problems, though he took a few goes at it.

Had to make a few minor compromises but I think it turned out quite nicely. Yes I deleted the rear ashtray - which was not a compromise.
Replica basket weave embossing is hard to see in this shot. When I get the car home I'll take a few more.

Now to work out an aesthetic seat belt arrangement.

Attachments

• IMG_7369.JPG
    IMG_7369.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 255

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Compare the diameter of the headrest posts, they changed I believe when the style changed.

Not sure where to put this so I will start here. Following up on your assertion with a picture. 3.0CS on the left 2800 CS on the right.

35408159095_2733c61323_b.jpg

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Time for a regular update. Car is finished, though I suppose they are never really finished.

It's the usual M30B35, 5 speed Getrag, Carl Nelson suspension resto mod. 400+ hours on the body plus blocking and Glasurit Fjord. Engine fully rebuilt with the assistance of Don. Not a Don here in Oz but THE Don. 10:1 forged pistons, Scrick 284, big port head. HD Ireland Engineering rockers. Fully sequential Link engine management. Custom built headers / extractors / manifold / whatever. New just about everything from W&N and others. Most of the reused parts have been refurbished. Reconditioned LSD.
Dyno - 192.3 RWHP at 5200 rpm and 225 FtLb at 3750 rpm.
Given the time period I have forgotten much of what was done and spent.
It was always meant to be a project - "Build a car". I can't even remember why I chose to do an E9. Perhaps a picture reminded me of them?

Anyway here it is. Some pictures -

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 139

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
00E900 is a well crafted beauty! Off to Burleigh Heads for dinner with your lovely wife.
A huge thanks goes to you for sharing the build with people from around the world.