Barn Find - Restoration Opportunity

Mario L.

Reaction score
1971 BMW 2800 CS Coupe
VIN: 2270639
Mileage: 79,529

Polaris Silver, 4 speed, blue leather, manual sunroof. Factory AC. Only two owners. Last registered and inspected in New Hampshire for summer use in 2003. To the best of our knowledge the last time this car was running and driven was in approximately 2009. Repainted once in it's life.
This car is completely original right down to the original carburetors with no modifications ever. It Is a matching numbers car, The gearbox is a ZF 4 speed. Always stored indoors and garaged.
The original owner of this car acquired it as a US spec car with delivery in London, England. The car was later imported to the United States and was in Connecticut.

We recovered this car from storage as pictured. The second owner recently passed away and his heirs did do a quick cleanup of the car. Presently it is not yet running, it needs some amount of work to be a safe driver. This includes everything from tires, some suspension components, and rubber mounts etc. underneath the car. I would fully expect that the brake calipers, master cylinder, and rear wheel cylinders need to be either rebuilt or replaced. We will make the car run to determine the condition of the engine. The latter will require the replacement of the starter motor.

The overall body condition of this car would have to be described as good to very good, with some portions of it to be considered in excellent condition.
For example, the spare tire well is still shiny silver with no rust below the spare wheel! After an extensive inspection on my part before purchase I was only able to find two rust spots. One that needs attention is the right front floor corner where someone miss placed a jack and damaged the floor to rocker panel seam under the car. The other spot is in the area of the top left fender. (see attached pictures) there are some scratches in the left rear quarter panel behind the door that happened while in storage.

Interior condition has some very strong positives and some negatives. The dashboard is uncracked the wood is completely intact without any indications of water leakage at the corners of the windshield. Wood on the doors door panels and trim panels are in good condition. The car is equipped with the original Becker stereo. The negative, mold. All interior surfaces were and or still are covered with a light film of mold, there is some staining to the headliner. This mold is also on the wiring under the dashboard. An extensive cleaning of this car will be required!

Here is an excellent opportunity to own an extremely solid low mileage E9 CS Coupe, that with a little bit of work and effort will turn out to be an extremely eye-catching car!

Asking price as it sits, $9880.00. This price will be adjusted once we have the car running driving and moving under its own power.

VSR will be very interested in working with a potential buyer of this car to turn it into a running driving car.

Please inquire directly via Email - [email protected]

Photos are here: http://www.vsr1.com/index.php?page=1971-BMW-2800cs
I am not able to link them directly to this thread and have them show up...

Ski coach

Deceased
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I can personally vouch for the accuracy of this car's description. If I didn't have a plate full already I wold have loved to turn this into a pristine original.

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
That original and dry at under $10,000. Unheard of these days. That is some car.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very nice E9 for not a lot of money, wish this was available when I bought mine. I would have been all over this.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
No doubt I would have bought that when I was looking. That car is aesthetically as good as I need it. Hope whoever buys it, keeps it.

ChristopherL

Reaction score
Good Morning Couper's!

I wanted to update and let everyone know that as of this morning the 2800CS is now a running & driving car.

We replaced the starter motor with a new Bosch unit. The original starter is still boxed up and included with the car.
Fuel system has been drained, we installed a new fuel filter, and fresh gasoline.
The engine started after cleaning the points, and settled into a smooth idle. Absolutely no blue smoke from the exhaust, and the original carbs respond well to throttle. We've installed new Mahle air filters and a new oil filter as the old filters had deteriorated.

The clutch works, and the transmission shifts into all gears smoothly without grinding.

Current asking price for the car now that it is in a running & driving condition is $11,380.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I get the feeling it will be $14500 once the AC is charged.

floridabmx

Reaction score
I get the feeling it will be $14500 once the AC is charged.

...and it would still be a decent price. When a car is running and driving it boosts the value, not sure if you knew that or not. :confused::confused::confused:

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had several conversations with Mario and his son Chris about this car. While I did not see it in person, my feeling is this CS presents a nice opportunity to get into a sound original coupe at a favorable $ point. Do pay attention to the car's needs as described in Mario's post as the new owner will have things to attend to. As others have noted before, it is a pleasure - and very informative - to talk to Mario about coupes. (For myself I decided to stay the course with my euro d-jet car - and it's list of needs - as I seem to be more attached to it than I thought.) Paul

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Someone please buy this car before it ends up for sale in Beverly Hills next week for triple the current asking price!!!!!!

ChristopherL

Reaction score
Good Afternoon all,

We have a commitment to purchase from a forum member, and provided funds transfers are completed as arranged, the car is sold.

Thank you for all the interest,
Chris