In the market for a BMW E9

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The more coupes I see, the more I realize I've got a good CSi and bought at the right time (2011) for under $20K. The coupe needed some work, yet I was able to enjoy it during the summer, then repair and improve it over the winter. I've probably put $20K in it. With my 2002Tii, people thought I was nuts for paying as much as I did, now I look like genius.

Buy the best car you can find, if it's at Hyman or Hunting Ridge so be it. It's getting harder to come by a really good for little money. They are out there, just few and far between. If you spend $40K+ and everything is done mechanically, suspension and presents well, consider it a bargain. ;)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I do bow to those who commented and others who know more than I here and beyond- I guess I may have a somewhat distorted view on what a good coupe is- All in all, I have about 32K into mine and I did the labor myself, (Agreed, even at minimum wage that would put me over the 100K mark) :-( I would have trouble asking much more than 40 for mine not because it's not worth it to me but because I think there are others out there that are as nice for that amount or less. I still have some issues, but enjoy trying to sort them out so I'm not unhappy with the outcome. ... I guess-.. I don't know, maybe should not have voiced my thought.. I'm not right that often. I guess you could think of this forum like a village- there's got to be one :)

arporsche

Reaction score
Thank you all for your thoughts! Appreciated.....in 1995 I purchased a pristine 1956 Porsche Speedster for $30,000, and sold 1 year later for $34,000. Who would have thought they're selling for $200K to $500K today.....guess with the E9's it's a matter of whatever people will pay will predicate the market pricing.

Pls keep the great advice coming!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I do bow to those who commented and others who know more than I here and beyond- I guess I may have a somewhat distorted view on what a good coupe is- All in all, I have about 32K into mine and I did the labor myself, (Agreed, even at minimum wage that would put me over the 100K mark) :-( I would have trouble asking much more than 40 for mine not because it's not worth it to me but because I think there are others out there that are as nice for that amount or less. I still have some issues, but enjoy trying to sort them out so I'm not unhappy with the outcome. ... I guess-.. I don't know, maybe should not have voiced my thought.. I'm not right that often. I guess you could think of this forum like a village- there's got to be one :)
Peter,

it never hurts to voice ones thoughts or opinions ... right or wrong ... it stirs others to think and everybody generally learns something from somebody else. i think your example also shows the true cost of restoration ... and that it is probably cheaper to buy a restored car rather than restoring a car.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+1, Peter your comments are always helpful

Peter,

it never hurts to voice ones thoughts or opinions ... right or wrong ... it stirs others to think and everybody generally learns something from somebody else. i think your example also shows the true cost of restoration ... and that it is probably cheaper to buy a restored car rather than restoring a car.

jefftepper

Reaction score
Though it's usually gratifying to have stumbled into a rising market while it is still at the bottom on its way up, the hard truth is that most projects are more costly than initially estimated and in some cases the "investment" is tenuous, even if you are factoring the DIY labor at the hobbyist rate of ten cents per hour.

Perhaps a different perspective for those that turn their own wrenches: If one considers the time, effort, and resources needed to properly bring a car back from the brink as an alternate to professional psychotherapy, one might be able to look at the whole thing as an investment in one's own mental health !!!

Note, I didn't say we're crazy ! :wink:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
They aren't making any more

After 1973, cars changed forever. Chrome bumpers were gone. Safety and emissions controls strangled performance. Styling was hampered by above safety concerns. Cars became more plastic and less metal. There are a few modern classics from the 80s and 90s (e30 M3, Porsche 993, Ferrari) that will appreciate, but I am hard pressed to see any car sold today that has ANY upside. Most cars are too complex. Who is going to rebuild the engine from an e92 V8 M3 in the future? No one. The V10 M5 is a throwaway car. I was reading a review of the new Audi TT for 2015. Neat, fun little cars, but the entire dash is digital. The "instruments" are a digital facsimile of the real thing. Once those break, and all the OEM parts run out, that car is unrepairable. So, 40 or 50 years on, those cars will not exist.

So, I have to respectfully disagree with Peter. The collector car market is being driven by a bunch of guys with disposable income chasing a finite group of cars.

Now, when the current generation of buyers of cars from the 60s-70s dies off in 30-40 years, I think values will plateau or fall, just as they have done for cars from the 20s and 30s.

So, for the near term, a nice e9 is a safe "investment", that at least won't lose value, and you can enjoy it. At least, that's what I tell my wife!

Happy hunting, and be patient.

Hunting Ridge Motors has had its e9s in stock FOREVER at their prices. I would take a look at the Ivory car, which he bought years ago for low 30s.
It came from NoCal. Make him an offer!

Scott

arporsche

Reaction score
After 1973, cars changed forever. Chrome bumpers were gone. Safety and emissions controls strangled performance. Styling was hampered by above safety concerns. Cars became more plastic and less metal. There are a few modern classics from the 80s and 90s (e30 M3, Porsche 993, Ferrari) that will appreciate, but I am hard pressed to see any car sold today that has ANY upside. Most cars are too complex. Who is going to rebuild the engine from an e92 V8 M3 in the future? No one. The V10 M5 is a throwaway car. I was reading a review of the new Audi TT for 2015. Neat, fun little cars, but the entire dash is digital. The "instruments" are a digital facsimile of the real thing. Once those break, and all the OEM parts run out, that car is unrepairable. So, 40 or 50 years on, those cars will not exist.

So, I have to respectfully disagree with Peter. The collector car market is being driven by a bunch of guys with disposable income chasing a finite group of cars.

Now, when the current generation of buyers of cars from the 60s-70s dies off in 30-40 years, I think values will plateau or fall, just as they have done for cars from the 20s and 30s.

So, for the near term, a nice e9 is a safe "investment", that at least won't lose value, and you can enjoy it. At least, that's what I tell my wife!

Happy hunting, and be patient.

Hunting Ridge Motors has had its e9s in stock FOREVER at their prices. I would take a look at the Ivory car, which he bought years ago for low 30s.

Scott

Thanks Scott...great input!!!

jmackro

Reaction score
...I have about 32K into mine and I did the labor myself, (Agreed, even at minimum wage that would put me over the 100K mark) :-( I would have trouble asking much more than 40 ...

Those numbers match what I have encountered on BMW and Alfa restorations. The conclusion is that you can't make money restoring sub-6 figure cars.

The problem is that it doesn't cost fifty times as much to restore a two million dollar Ferrari as it does to restore a $40,000 e9. Even if you do all of the labor, restoring inexpensive collector cars is going to be a hobby, not a career.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Scott

as i remember, the ivory car has a 3.7L in it and is pretty fast + fun

Robert A

Reaction score
New to the e9's too

I purchased my 2800CS about 2 months ago. The car was exceptional in the pictures and had a stack of receipts. The previous owner had the car 13 years and it was always garaged. I received the car and unfortunately it was lightly damaged in transit (paint only). So off to paint...

Before that I took the car to have a service and after 5 weeks it is still there. Needs the whole AC system updated and the cooling system, hoses, clutch fan, ect.... In the end I will have a shiny car with nice AC. So despite the service records, it seems like there is always something to do the these beauties. IMHO, next time I would buy from someone in this forum who has truly babied their cars and know them inside and out. That is, if they would sell them.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
... IMHO, next time I would buy from someone in this forum who has truly babied their cars and know them inside and out. That is, if they would sell them.

Yep, the best way to get a good Coupe is "Jure uxoris" from board members.

Royalty, no less.

Robert A

Reaction score
Check out the new one listed today. I just can't handle those bumpers...

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don't worry about the bumpers- mine had them too! I don't think they're going to get much cheaper for a 4 speed survivor.

Attachments

• suspension mods16.jpg
    suspension mods16.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 116

Stefan

Reaction score
Don't worry about the bumpers- mine had them too! I don't think they're going to get much cheaper for a 4 speed survivor.

+1
Correct bumpers still coming up for sale, so far. The chromed bumpers are for some reason very very resistant against rust.
If the car irl looks and feels what I suspect according to pics, this could be a nice buy. Add some or even more dollars at cosmetic issues and you got a real nice E9 with the correct priceless original feeling.

Cars in this (hopefully) status does not appear to often.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh, and

Psychotherapeutic decision time- a la Jeff. You will need to determine if the time spent with your e9 is saving your sanity or pushing you over the edge. I have done some calculations that may be helpful-and maybe not-
2000 hours at the "then" minimum wage, 15,000.00 (approximately the same as weekly therapy for a year with a good shrink) So, you're at a break even.

Of course you have the car.... but you can't call it in the middle of the night for a prescription for Xanax.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Psychotherapeutic decision time- a la Jeff. You will need to determine if the time spent with your e9 is saving your sanity or pushing you over the edge. I have done some calculations that may be helpful-and maybe not-
2000 hours at the "then" minimum wage, 15,000.00 (approximately the same as weekly therapy for a year with a good shrink) So, you're at a break even.

Of course you have the car.... but you can't call it in the middle of the night for a prescription for Xanax.

And your shrink won't make you feel like this:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16986