71 2800CS Project & 10K in New Parts - Toronto

e3e9

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to sell a project I no longer have time for.

71 2800CS
4 Speed
060 Polaris
Delivered new to Victoria, BC.

Restored in the late 90's.
In an accident in 07.

Sandblasted and epoxy coated. Will need a good welder.
Have replacement front and rear subframes taken from a California donor 20 years ago. Have all mechanical and interior parts to complete, and more.

10K in new body panels mostly from BMW and some Walloth.

Willing to sell as a complete package, or part out.

There aren't many of us up here, but if there is anyone interested, let me know.

Photo link;
https://goo.gl/photos/7sTghdjvkYyCqQ3V7

Thanks,

Mick

waynesie

Reaction score
What are you looking to get for the whole package?
And a list of what you have that goes with it.

Otherwise you are going to get slammed with PMs asking.

e3e9

Reaction score
You're right, Wayne.

Just can't find time to itemize everything right now.
Need someone local to come take a look, and take it all with their best offer.

Lost storage. May have to scrap the body, and store the parts for a later project or sale.

Thanks,
Mick

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score

In the photos he has included invoices of parts purchased which I assume are the extra included parts. Did you click on his photos on the initial post?

tmason

Reaction score
Click on the photo's and see how these cars can really just rust away to nothing!

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
Some of the parts, eg, 41141814002 - right inner wheel housing, are listed on more than one invoice. So doesn't seem BMW dealer parts totals should be added...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Unless you are highly motivated, it sucks to part out a car. 500 people ping you for the same part, and you have to box and ship everything. Locals will lowball you and you will likely comply just to clear some inventory. When the wheels and suspension go, you are left with a carcass that is difficult to move.

I hope that the car gets saved, but like I said in my PM there seem to be few that have the skill, time (or money) to pull off a build like
this. If it sells locally to some ambitious e30 driver (drifter? :)), I would not be surprised if it ends up getting parted.

You know I Want some parts so let us know what happens!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mick,
great set of pictures. Perfect for showing how a really nice looking car on the outside can hide rust. Appears that the restoration in the 1990's did pull off the fenders or install fender liners (Lokari) because the inner fenders above the wheels look ok, but that rear-upper area is really bad.

It's too bad the rust has gone so far that there's no cheap way to turn this into a driver-quality car. Still, it IS restorable if someone wants to put $100k into it as a labor of love.

I'd be interested in hauling the car+parts home on my trailer, but to be honest with you it would be as a parts car and I couldn't pay you anything close to what you paid for the new sheet metal. You might be able to sell the new sheet metal separately to a local shop that restores E9's. Not exactly the kind of response you're looking for. Sorry.

John Feng
Sudbury, MA

e3e9

Reaction score
You are right Twistinglane. Checked the pics. I just grabbed a pic of some of the invoices I still have and, there were some quotes in there before I ordered the parts outright. Tossed them to avoid confusion.

Which makes me feel a a lot better, but there are all the parts I bought off eBay.de and other sources that I don't have receipts for. I listed this in a rush, because I was going to lose storage, Dec 1. I'm good til the spring now.

Marcos and bfeng are also correct, there really is no future for the body. Unfortunately it will likely be crushed. Someone paid back in the 90's for very deft bondo work. Or, it was just a used car that got half the attention it deserved. Spot on with the fender liners bfeng. Modified Volvo 240 liners were installed very nicely. But, the patches on the lower A posts are definitely not nice.

Undoubtedly it's going to be a part out situation, which is what I suspected.
The interior and sheet metal will go to good homes i'm sure.

I have been enjoying a nice rust free California E3 that I picked up a few years back, and this fell on the back burner. And, with a career change, I have no time or funds for this. If I get half of the parts investment back, I'll be happy with the time I got to spend driving this car.

Thanks all, look forward to any and more feedback.

Mick

Some of the parts, eg, 41141814002 - right inner wheel housing, are listed on more than one invoice. So doesn't seem BMW dealer parts totals should be added...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wouldn't give up yet. I don't think that this is the right site to sell the complete car, but other sites might be. There are plenty of twenty year olds that can't get into an E9 due to pricing, but have the time and motivation to make something happen with the car. The finished product just might have airbags and 18" wheels, but it's a whole new car to inspire others.

You haven't really stated what you are looking to get for the car. All we know is that you have $10K in parts, and that nobody would pay $10K for the car. We also know that you won't get $10K for the parts. So what are you looking to get for the car?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Suggest the car (and all removed parts) is worth $3k-$5k, and the new parts are worth 75 cents on the dollar.

e3e9

Reaction score
bfeng is in the right ballpark.
8K CDN would be ideal for everything as a package. So, that's 6K US.

Suggest the car (and all removed parts) is worth $3k-$5k, and the new parts are worth 75 cents on the dollar.