The Vintage in Asheville, NC May 20-22

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Registration is open to the largest vintage BMW gathering in the US. If you have never been to this event, this is the year to attend. First year in Asheville and the 100th year of BMW. Last year the coupes almost swept the awards.

Register here: http://atthevintage.com

Also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1523192541311627/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/322743328981/

For anyone who wants to caravan from the North. We are planning to meet in Roanoke VA at the Walmart off 220 at noon on Thursday the 19th. We will then drive to Asheville on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Last edited:

LarryE9E10

Reaction score
Painful idea

We will then drive to Asheville on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The Blue Ridge Parkway sounds romantic and fun but it's really agony in a driver's car. The legal speed limit never exceeds 35 mph. Even if you're willing to break the law, the lack of any straightaways (i.e. you can never see more than about 200 feet ahead), combined with a constant parade of gawking tourists makes for painfully slow driving for what seems like forever. Plus there are (1) no shoulders, (2) no services between exits and (3) off road parking lots at intervals of 10-20 miles at best. Breakdowns would be a bear.:cry:

I picked up my M5 at the factory in Spartanburg and took the Parkway (and then the Shenandoah Parkway) all the way to Port Royal. There was no fun and no joy. You might want to rethink this idea. Sorry to rain on your parade.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I picked up my M5 at the factory in Spartanburg and took the Parkway (and then the Shenandoah Parkway) all the way to Port Royal. There was no fun and no joy. You might want to rethink this idea. Sorry to rain on your parade.

I can see the BRP being a drag in a newer M3 or M5 doing 35. Cindy and I have a great time on the BRP, we enjoy the shade and stopping along the way. It's a treat to get off the shadeless boring highways that we drive all the time. We've driven Skyline Drive & BRP to Winston-Salem, haven't done the stretch from Roanoke to Asheville. Should be fun with other vintage BMWs.

naccer

Reaction score
Atlanta to the Vintage

We'll have a group of 4 cars heading up Friday from Atlanta.

2002tii, 3.0Si, Bavaria, and an Alpina C6 (I think)

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've seen several posts about folks wanting to get together. I'm about an hours drive south should anyone need a place to stay or need a garage. And although neither the coupe nor the 02 will be ready, I'll be there all weekend.

naccer

Reaction score
Vintage - the cars

Well, after much work, my 3.0Si will NOT be out of the paint shop in time for the vintage. Getting the green Bav there will have to be it this time. But have no fear, I should have an 88 M6 to bring up.

If you see these cars together, please drop by and introduce yourselves.

Inka 2002tii
Tiaga Bavaria
Black M6
Amazon Bavaria
Fjord 3.0CS

I think that's it from our crew...

See y'all there, Neal

Doug Dolan

Reaction score
I was just checking the pre-registration list for The Vintage and so far there are 20 E9's registered!! Should be a great showing!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Annabelle will be there, come hell or high water.

Her bumpers probably won't be exactly right (stop looking at my bumpers, you pervert!), and she won't be boasting the Weds because the front subframe is bent and needs to be replaced, but she will appear in all her majesty.

Oh, and despite her faults, her sound is mellifluous. (Now, if Amy appears, Annabelle will sound somewhat short of mellifluous, but her sound is intoxicating, and I love her nonetheless).

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
kolledge

Congratulations to him, and you for having your priorities in order..we'll miss you.
My Polaris car went to Korman State for about a year (same price as a year at UNC for a young'un) and still hasn't graduated...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks, but I did try to think of a way to do both since he's at UVA, but decided against presenting that idea to the boss :wink:

Korman State is ivy league prices!

Congratulations to him, and you for having your priorities in order..we'll miss you.
My Polaris car went to Korman State for about a year (same price as a year at UNC for a young'un) and still hasn't graduated...

bdigel

Reaction score
Finished cleaning the car up , brakes on the truck , and just need a place to stay , ready to Drag the CSL up there

DSCN1328.JPG

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Did I say come hell or high water?

Forecast is for rain Friday (80%), thunderstorms on Saturday (80%), and rain Sunday (70%).

Annabelle has only been rained on once and I don't relish the idea of a three day soak. I hate to say it, but I am pulling the plug.

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
1st time to attend The Vintage, not happy with the forecast. Wife's a bit unsure about us being
in the rain the whole time there and durng the drive down there and back home.

Question for those that might know, would you expect the display field to be soggy/muddy,
especially after a couple of days of rain?

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Did I say come hell or high water?

Forecast is for rain Friday (80%), thunderstorms on Saturday (80%), and rain Sunday (70%).

Annabelle has only been rained on once and I don't relish the idea of a three day soak. I hate to say it, but I am pulling the plug.

Just pulled the plug as well. REALLY sucks...

Guess its on to the PVGP.

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Friday nights washout turned into a beautiful day yesterday. I really enjoyed putting some faces (and families) with the forum handles. I picked up a few parts for the 02 including the deal of the century on 14 boxes of cad plated hardware. I'm guessing north of 100 pounds worth! I can't imagine how long it took just to organize this.
4a647300adff6002a94e6f0089959e90.jpg