Restoration of rear lights, plus upgrade options

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have the Stanley Honda bulbs for my brake lights and they are great.

Comparison vs stock:

DIGlDIPIo108u0jRuZiMIry54I4Dc3EznN57MDDtolzqRYmR2FxPx745kuyh_D2QFFXwlJZf77q6ZWALLb2T6nIeBCSxt6IKbuceKynkEYCcUVtljkpai-mcxBk-0K1bkCFdQYl1o5BAraGtDlfy7rWM-g3lC7g6BCIdnLwu1xnKXSpBhv5X0XF-86e4aamj6ZkcbJGoIKWJcMf_DBxvyfj0bORF2mWzs58jMa2oRg6m7gf0MCp6Cs5nSfSpawsNvZSyisHrWmYjWZv5RTv8h5YB0qUAbXDL-MuughuaFJ_CnJ1eCNmEy_lozJLmVnIHUaj5-9Hec4QOuBJSMuhTEZzNgo95WY3MY0qS8F2kHjL8HI310a30eZKKxH3GMjYWup8KQczno51-I_POwDeXR3YV0o6TUWFGbfnbu_BC7R9moLLeFKh8dYV8wPj5mM49gByvQEl-i1bT3mSMuTaa4TvR00HwjVNwe0LtSynVqHg8qJ32CKWBKDBFpmVuQgTs9ciwJo7PC0J_K0qiSPvpILJ1U95BaKD8AgVsgkSGFXzoZjQ7WziWGBOIDlAOKcC4KYOF=w879-h659-no

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
You ask why?

Why go through all this trouble w/incandescent bulbs?

Trouble? What trouble? I consider this a labor of love. Hey, chocolate and vanilla, my friend. Some folks like one but not the other, and some don't want to make the switch to LED as it's 'not period-correct.' Granted, the E9 Check Relay logic will never be baffled by substituting LED for Incandescent lamps (like my E28) - there is no Check Relay! But these cars have reflectors and lenses that are designed to work with a point source light located at the focus of the parabola, that's how they work.

And by 'work' I mean many things, I suppose it's the engineer in me. the correct color, Dim or Bright, On and Off at the right time, located at the extreme left and right of the bodywork, at the rear of the car, and (most important) shining directly into the eyes of following drivers... no matter if the driver is directly behind you in exactly the right location, or maybe off to one side, or up higher above the pavement.

Lights are a safety item, a legal requirement, and a critical communication device, but not a fashion accessory. Converting to LED so one can brag that they have updated LED tail lights should not be their only motivation. NOT SAYING this is your motivation, but this has been for others.

By working with the existing design -- a parabolic reflector that collimates a light source into a beam, and a lens specifically designed to make this beam visible under widely varying conditions and viewable from a wide range of locations -- I am staying within the stock parameters of the design and the manufacturer's specification.

The fact that I have redesigned them to create a larger, brighter, and more reliable light is my contribution to keeping you safe and the car intact under an onslaught of idiotic people barely qualified to drive larger and heavier vehicles.

OK, you aren't the first or only; let us know how they work after you do the installation (see above for a definition of 'work').

It would be useful to see a side by side comparison on the car, one light updated with those LED panels and one stock with new incandescent lamps. Take pictures viewed on axis, then off axis in all directions at five or ten degree increments up to about 45 degrees left/right, and 25 degrees above horizontal.

After all, you don't expect anyone to crouch down while driving behind you, with their nose 24 inches off the pavement, when you apply the brakes. If they are sitting several feet higher, I suppose it's still important they know when you are stopping, right?

I guess this covers one reason I go to 'all this trouble.' There are others.

Thanks for keeping the conversation going, and I look forward to seeing pictures of your results with those lights. I wish you every success.

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
OK, who is interested in a sale ... ?

I recently got nine messages / emails, but no one seems ready to plunge in without an incentive ... so since there is clearly some interest in this service, how about I make you a deal? I did this 'First Five Orders' deal with the 2002 folks (BMW2002FAQ), they were happy to get them, and let everyone else know how they liked them. I would ask the same thing here- get the deal, then post your reaction.

Spring Sale - first five orders only

Beginning now, through the month of March 2016.

$79 OFF full upgrades, $150 (normally $229 a pair);

25% off High Output bulb sets, $37.50 (normally $50 for 8 bulbs).

HO Bulb Sets include six P3497 for brake, turn, and reverse (CPI, made to the same specs as Stanley- 45 CP versus stock 32 CP), PLUS two German Narva for tails, 10 CP versus stock 4 CP tails. All bulbs have a nickel base.

CP = Candlepower, or 'mean spherical candela'

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andy,

i'm in for a full set. i'll PM you ... (that's a full set - redo of the upgrades and the bulbs)
scott

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Andy,

Put me in as #3 for the 'high output bulbs'. Send me a PM with your PayPal account and I'll get you paid.

Thanks for helping people SEE me from behind.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
25% off High Output bulb sets, $37.50 (normally $50 for 8 bulbs).

HO Bulb Sets include six P3497 for brake, turn, and reverse (CPI, made to the same specs as Stanley- 45 CP versus stock 32 CP), PLUS two German Narva for tails, 10 CP versus stock 4 CP tails. All bulbs have a nickel base.

I would like to take a set of these bulbs as well please.

Thank you for offering this.

PM sent.

Bo

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
UPDATE on Sale

OK, congratulations are in order.

One set of lights spoken for, four remaining at the sale price.
Two full sets of lamps spoken for, three remaining at the sale price.

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
Update - sets remaining

SOLD - SO FAR

4 of 5 Full Upgrade sets, ONLY ONE REMAINING.

5 of 5 HO bulb sets, all gone.

OK, this is going well. Clearly folks appreciate a deal. And yes, I will ship to Finland, Norway, Sweden; wherever you are. Shipping on lights will be higher, bulbs not so bad.

And since someone asked, HO spare bulb sets are 20% off if ordered with either deal, including a dual filament 'K9-B' Tail + Brake, P3497 Turn/ Reverse, and 17311 Tail, $20 instead of $25 for all three. All high output.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
Calling David - emails bouncing

UPDATE

I heard from David, the set reserved for him at the 'Spring Sale' price is now his again.
His email was incorrectly entered in his control panel. We got that straight now.

All five discounted HO bulb sets are claimed.

FOUR of the five discounted Light restoration and upgrade sets are claimed, there's
ONE REMAINING SET at the Spring Sale Price of $150 ($79 off).

First set is in the shop now, getting the works!

Last edited:

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
Snowing heavily ...

WEDNESDAY UPDATE - Snowed in, at least 14 inches now, still dumping at around 2 inches per hour.