S54 drop in, good, bad and ugly

JohnFBD

Reaction score
Has anyone on the forum actually achieved this? There are a few threads of people saying they are going to have a go but they die out and have not heard of a project that was completed?
I see Josha Steins amazing e9, but very little on the details of what it took to get there. The comments on past threads are useful in respect to things to consider (which is probably enough to put anyone off!) but it would be great to know the real world issues encountered with an e9, mods, interchange part etc.

I currently have a 2800CSA, no engine or tranny so exploring options. S38 sounds good but not an engine that is easy to source in Oz, S54 would be a little easier. Understand budget would need to be healthy (hay you only live once!) Appreciate feedback.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see responses as I considered thus path too. Getting around the vehicle security system apparently takes additional programming work which is all integrated with the DME for these later engines. The biggest detractors for me were gearbox and power related complexities. The 6 speed will not fit due due to the narrow transmission tunnel of the E9 which means customizing a 5speed's bell housing and I have not yet gleaned what exactly was used. Then you also need to consider the 346hp power for the chassis (or likely more as you would likely not run the catalytic converter). Need to make sure the dif support and trailing arm supports are reinforced. So all is doable but when you can turbo a period correct M30 to make more than enough power for what is ultimately a cruiser, I opted out of the S54 option. If you do go down the road, please post it!

K D

Reaction score
I would be happy to offer, free of charge, a 3.3 litre from a 733 if you would like to go down that path. It is in pieces. Easy install, just needs E9 suitable sump & oil pump pick-up. I,m in Silverwater if interested.

KD

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Welcome aboard John, we should run out to Pete's and have a look at his coupe with the monster motor and custom injection system

Cheers. John

e30strube

Reaction score
For reference, I swapped a S54 into my E30 M3. The S54 is a cheaper, easier to modify and newer engine than the S38, so unless there is just a love for the S38, S54 is the way to go. You can bolt up an E36 M3 5 speed directly to the S54 and its lighter, no modification of any kind. For the DME, there are a number of places that will reflash it for 1k or less. The S54 itself is pretty pricey now as the swaps have gotten easier, but you can easily find a motor on Ebay even. Arc Asylum sells an oil pan that allows the S54 to fit an E30 that may also work on an E9. If you have any specific questions, send me a message.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
For reference, I swapped a S54 into my E30 M3. The S54 is a cheaper, easier to modify and newer engine than the S38, so unless there is just a love for the S38, S54 is the way to go. You can bolt up an E36 M3 5 speed directly to the S54 and its lighter, no modification of any kind. For the DME, there are a number of places that will reflash it for 1k or less. The S54 itself is pretty pricey now as the swaps have gotten easier, but you can easily find a motor on Ebay even. Arc Asylum sells an oil pan that allows the S54 to fit an E30 that may also work on an E9. If you have any specific questions, send me a message.

Damn it... you are now tempting me back down that original path I wanted :) You make some good points and getting the more modern motor, gearbox and running gear was my original intent. That said, I have driven mine to work a couple times this week just to give it a run and it still gets along nicely with the 3.0 with twin Webers. I may hit you up with questions too if I change my mind and go for the S54 route.

bdigel

Reaction score
I did the original s54 swap into an old BMW years ago. I jst finished putting an S38 in my E9 . The S54 is easier and less expensive to get power out of , that being said the S54 does not go willingly into an old BMW chassis . As I have posted before here are several things to consider , the s54 airbox will not clear an old BMW break booster , on my e12 I tried every booster I could think of and ended up putting a boosterless tilton pedals in. #2 the exhaust downpipes or headers run into the stock steering linkages , We eneded up putting in a modified e30 subframe with e46 front suspension , where the lollipop or control arm bushings had to be grafted into the body of the car . It can and has been done but its by no means a bolt in operation . I will say the effort is well worth it

JohnFBD

Reaction score
Some really interesting comments here, I must admit one of the areas of concern was the DME and whether it can be messed with it to get rid of all that unwanted stuff, I shall take you up on that offer ;)

JohnFBD

Reaction score
I did the original s54 swap into an old BMW years ago. I jst finished putting an S38 in my E9 . The S54 is easier and less expensive to get power out of , that being said the S54 does not go willingly into an old BMW chassis . As I have posted before here are several things to consider , the s54 airbox will not clear an old BMW break booster , on my e12 I tried every booster I could think of and ended up putting a boosterless tilton pedals in. #2 the exhaust downpipes or headers run into the stock steering linkages , We eneded up putting in a modified e30 subframe with e46 front suspension , where the lollipop or control arm bushings had to be grafted into the body of the car . It can and has been done but its by no means a bolt in operation . I will say the effort is well worth it

I did see the e12 swap, yes not straightforward at all! To add to the mix, it being RHD may help or hinder things? That thing sounds insane on the dyno!!

JohnFBD

Reaction score
Definitely not wed to an S38, hence my post. The S54 with the E36 M3 5 speed sound like a great combo, any reason you wouldn't stick with the S54 6 speed?

JohnFBD

Reaction score
I would be happy to offer, free of charge, a 3.3 litre from a 733 if you would like to go down that path. It is in pieces. Easy install, just needs E9 suitable sump & oil pump pick-up. I,m in Silverwater if interested.

KD
Thanks for the kind offer KD, for this project I did want to get a much later power train, love the classic looks but not so much the old tech, here's my current drive from 1958 (GM haters please cover your eyes!) Photo 92.jpg

e30strube

Reaction score
Definitely not wed to an S38, hence my post. The S54 with the E36 M3 5 speed sound like a great combo, any reason you wouldn't stick with the S54 6 speed?

The 5 speed is smaller, cheaper and lighter. The 6 speed gives you an overdrive gear, but given you would be putting a 300 hp motor into an older car, gas mileage probably isn't a big concern The 6 speeds are about $1000 versus the $300ish 5 speeds.

JohnFBD

Reaction score
The 5 speed is smaller, cheaper and lighter. The 6 speed gives you an overdrive gear, but given you would be putting a 300 hp motor into an older car, gas mileage probably isn't a big concern The 6 speeds are about $1000 versus the $300ish 5 speeds.
Makes sense, I shall see what's available here! Thanks for the input, just need to think about brakes, suspension, diff and selling an organ to pay for it :rolleyes: could be the first S54 e9 in Oz or even any RHD country? You know what they say, you can always spot the pioneers by the arrows in their backs;)

bdigel

Reaction score
Makes sense, I shall see what's available here! Thanks for the input, just need to think about brakes, suspension, diff and selling an organ to pay for it :rolleyes: could be the first S54 e9 in Oz or even any RHD country? You know what they say, you can always spot the pioneers by the arrows in their backs;)
Its actually been Done , Castro Motorsports finished their project quite some time ago, and there are a few others being done , stay tuned !

JohnFBD

Reaction score
Its actually been Done , Castro Motorsports finished their project quite some time ago, and there are a few others being done , stay tuned !
Good to know, I did see the Castro Motorsports which really got me on the S54 in the first place!
So, just purchased a S54 + e36 M3 5 speed here in Oz and so the project starts, I'll start a resto thread up when I get going (just got to finish up the wife's 2002)!
Wish me luck:eek:

JohnFBD

Reaction score
Good to know, I did see the Castro Motorsports which really got me on the S54 in the first place!
So, just purchased a S54 + e36 M3 5 speed here in Oz and so the project starts, I'll start a resto thread up when I get going (just got to finish up the wife's 2002)!

e30strube

Reaction score

That escalated quickly...nice job on the purchase. :) As a heads up as well...replace the transmission detents while it is out of the car. Easy to do, but pulling it after the fact isn't so fun...I may know from experience.