E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is interesting Chris, as the listing states 2986 cc displacement and the trim on the rear of the trunk is 3.0 CS. Something is wrong somewhere!

Our of curiosity - what is the clue that it is a 2.5?

larry00700

Reaction score
c738aa5976523a12d56c69ca071ea5d3.jpg

The seller sent this to me this morning. What do you all make of this? Which is wrong, the VIN database, or the car's data plate and trunk?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

larry00700

Reaction score
Well, if you look at the controls on the dash, they're not in English, so I was thinking the Euro market piece of the story may be true. I'm now curious about meeting EPA regs to import it.

larry00700

Reaction score
Of course, I had to dig more. This is from a car currently for sale in Italy. It's labeled as a "2.5CS", and falls within the VIN range as such. I'm just confused now. Something, somewhere is weird about this all.

I'm looking for a decent e9 to putz with and restore. Im just trying to figure this out. Thanks for helping me understand all this.

223941150f59d206ad1a118fe65c6999.jpg

Andy the aussie

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wish my first post on here was more positive but oh well, here we go,

I bought / am in the process of buying this car

Bought believing it was a 3.0cs, with vin research and opinion on here that seems to be incorrect and vehicle is a 2.5cs

Have discussed with seller who seems genuine- he is 100% that his grandfather and father have not changed any badges and the car is and has always been a 3.0, he also tells me he has contacted BMW and they say it is a 3.0cs

Not sure where to go from here, I've part paid and am ready to finalise the deal , seller is very ready for me to take car as it's in storage and is getting annoyed by my stalling, he's not a "car guy" so doesn't really see what all the fuss is about....

Opinions pls - is it 100% a 2.5 or is there even a slight possibility that the vin register is wrong ?

If it is 2.5 what is the value difference ?

I've bought it at US$14,000 - have I paid too much ? Have I bought it cheap ?
I'm expecting it to be much more rotten than the pics/description.

Any opinion appreciated- I need to make a decision and try figure it out with the seller....

Thanks

Andy

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wish my first post on here was more positive but oh well, here we go,

I bought / am in the process of buying this car

Bought believing it was a 3.0cs, with vin research and opinion on here that seems to be incorrect and vehicle is a 2.5cs

Have discussed with seller who seems genuine- he is 100% that his grandfather and father have not changed any badges and the car is and has always been a 3.0, he also tells me he has contacted BMW and they say it is a 3.0cs

Not sure where to go from here, I've part paid and am ready to finalise the deal , seller is very ready for me to take car as it's in storage and is getting annoyed by my stalling, he's not a "car guy" so doesn't really see what all the fuss is about....

Opinions pls - is it 100% a 2.5 or is there even a slight possibility that the vin register is wrong ?

If it is 2.5 what is the value difference ?

I've bought it at US$14,000 - have I paid too much ? Have I bought it cheap ?
I'm expecting it to be much more rotten than the pics/description.

Any opinion appreciated- I need to make a decision and try figure it out with the seller...

Thanks

Andy

Our 1975 CSi Barn Find was 3.0, we took off the head. And it was European, bumpers, heater controls in German, etc. Probably could find the VIN it that would help. Steve contact at [email protected]

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That VIN is a 2.5CSA automatic and an e-mail to BMW will confirm it. This is #173 of 244 produced, there is no possibility it is anything but a 2.5CSA. At that price it is a good buy though if the chassis is solid., especially if you plan to upgrade the motor. Good luck.

http://www.e9-driven.com/E9_Vins.asp

And this isn't the first time a seller has claimed the VIN series is wrong, have him produce the confirmation from BMW or e-mail yourself.

[email protected]

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Andy,

My two cents. Take it with a grain of salt as I went through a similar set of disclaimers about 18 months ago and purchased the car anyway. I'm not against cars that need help. My car is 4x rustier than your purchase.

With that said I would be much more concerned about the condition of the body at $14K. The car needs a decent amount t of attention, with paint and cosmetic bodywork at a minimum. In addition to the rust it has a few bumps and bruises. There are a number of rusty cars that look nice on the outside for those that wish to casually ignore for a bit. This doesn't seem to be one of those cars.

Are you looking for a project or a driver? If you are looking for a driver, what are the odds that you can swing a car in the low 20's? If you are looking for a project, I'd look into Chris's roller listed on CL in Chicago. An engine swap won't hurt the value of a CS but you probably won't ever fully overcome bias against the 2.5CS. It's silly as is the somewhat lesser bias against the 2800cs. It is what it is though.

Last year at this time I'd say that is a $14K car. I've seen far too many deals over the last six months to consider a $14K automatic 2.5CS with some rust issues a great deal. It's. fair deal, just not great. Sorry to be negative. I hope that others chime in with their opinion before you close the sale.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Our 1975 CSi Barn Find was 3.0, we took off the head. And it was European, bumpers, heater controls in German, etc. Probably could find the VIN it that would help. Steve contact at [email protected]

I think that all 2.5CS cars were 1975 but not all 1975 cars are a 2.5CS. If you look at the registry by year, you'll see a number of different 75's.

Andy the aussie

Reaction score
Y
Andy,

My two cents. Take it with a grain of salt as I went through a similar set of disclaimers about 18 months ago and purchased the car anyway. I'm not against cars that need help. My car is 4x rustier than your purchase.

With that said I would be much more concerned about the condition of the body at $14K. The car needs a decent amount t of attention, with paint and cosmetic bodywork at a minimum. In addition to the rust it has a few bumps and bruises. There are a number of rusty cars that look nice on the outside for those that wish to casually ignore for a bit. This doesn't seem to be one of those cars.

Are you looking for a project or a driver? If you are looking for a driver, what are the odds that you can swing a car in the low 20's? If you are looking for a project, I'd look into Chris's roller listed on CL in Chicago. An engine swap won't hurt the value of a CS but you probably won't ever fully overcome bias against the 2.5CS. It's silly as is the somewhat lesser bias against the 2800cs. It is what it is though.

Last year at this time I'd say that is a $14K car. I've seen far too many deals over the last six months to consider a $14K automatic 2.5CS with some rust issues a great deal. It's. fair deal, just not great. Sorry to be negative. I hope that others chime in with their opinion before you close the sale.

Thanks Markos,

The car is a project, I was attracted to this as a no secrets type car, whatever I bought would be getting bare shelled anyway

I'm not scared of laying on my back getting burnt by mig splatter ...

Car is being exported to Australia so for me the target car was to be as complete as possible as parts are not easy down here, and cheap as possible as import and taxes are % based so the cheaper the better

Location of vehicle being in Canada is a bonus to me as this car will be shipped down under with a friend in the container to keep him company, I'm diving in deep and buying myself 2 bucket list project cars at the same time...
Because two is better than one ! Right ?

That being said I'm patient enough to walk away if the deal goes sour....
I've wanted an e9 for some time - if it's not right I can wait

Keep them thought a coming fellas, it all helps ;)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the australia factor is a big component. You are dealing with low inventory and the price seems much more palateable with this piece of info.

One downside to a roller shell with buckets of parts is that you don't get to take the car apart. I'm partially through the disassembly process now and I can't imagine putting the car together without any previous knowledge gained by taking it apart.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Y

Thanks Markos,

The car is a project, I was attracted to this as a no secrets type car, whatever I bought would be getting bare shelled anyway

I'm not scared of laying on my back getting burnt by mig splatter ...

Car is being exported to Australia so for me the target car was to be as complete as possible as parts are not easy down here, and cheap as possible as import and taxes are % based so the cheaper the better

Location of vehicle being in Canada is a bonus to me as this car will be shipped down under with a friend in the container to keep him company, I'm diving in deep and buying myself 2 bucket list project cars at the same time...
Because two is better than one ! Right ?

That being said I'm patient enough to walk away if the deal goes sour....
I've wanted an e9 for some time - if it's not right I can wait

Keep them thought a coming fellas, it all helps ;)

Where in OZ Andy ? Simon