1975 e9 Auto - Canada

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Bizarre !...down the hill from you...Churchlands . Often do runs out the back of Kalamunda with a few E9'ers ...I'm the perennial passenger ! A good friend of ours on E9 Forum (Wally ) has Inka CSL and lives in Lesmurdie . Send me a PM if you like for catch up .

Andy the aussie

Reaction score
That VIN is a 2.5CSA automatic and an e-mail to BMW will confirm it. This is #173 of 244 produced, there is no possibility it is anything but a 2.5CSA. At that price it is a good buy though if the chassis is solid., especially if you plan to upgrade the motor. Good luck.

http://www.e9-driven.com/E9_Vins.asp

And this isn't the first time a seller has claimed the VIN series is wrong, have him produce the confirmation from BMW or e-mail yourself.

[email protected]

Thanks Chris, absolutely correct and a returned email from BMW has confirmed it for me.

Re the value difference from a like for like 2.5cs to a 3.0cs - what's the deal is it considered a big difference??

Andy the aussie

Reaction score
The only differences are lower HP, manual windows, cloth interior and an engine upgrade makes the HP issue moot. It's still a coupe after all.
Thanks again Chris,

So quick research and there is a 84 e23 735i round the corner for $500....
Grab that M30B34 and jam it in and I'm smiling eh ?
Manual conversion and triple webers and I'm laughing?

Or stay original low powered auto and just cruise ?

What's the opinion fellas ?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do what you want, don't listen to us or you'll be driven crazy :)

If you are going to drop an engine in though, consensus is that you want at least an M30B35

Andy the aussie

Reaction score
Do what you want, don't listen to us or you'll be driven crazy :)

If you are going to drop an engine in though, consensus is that you want at least an M30B35
Steve, Not my first classic and not my first forum ;)

Too late on the crazy - according to every one else !
I think im ok though ;)

Ok so big difference between the 34 and 35 ?
My quick look at wiki shows the 34 as higher compression and very slightly higher power/torque figures
North america 34 was no good but i think we got the non cat version ?
Anyone ?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
The only differences are lower HP, manual windows, cloth interior and an engine upgrade makes the HP issue moot. It's still a coupe after all.

I totally agree. The interior is pretty sharp looking still as well. For someone like Andy who knows how to weld, I would prioritize a clean interior over the body. You figure you have at least $3K-$5K to clean up an interior yourself. I'm jumping through some serious hoops to avoid that cost, but things like seat leather is a someone unavoidable expense. This car in question has some body issues, but the interior is in good shape. I like cloth interiors. I heard that it gets hot in Australia also. I'd ditch the 2.5 and the auto but that is the 'easy' part right? :D

The E9's share the same beautiful characteristics whether it's a 2.5CS or 3.0CSL. The market bias will exist regardless of this, but if you are buying / building the car for yourself I wouldn't worry that much about it. I still stand by my assessment on my amateur assessment of the $14K price. Again, Australia and welding skills wasn't a factor in that original thought process. If Andy is interested in 'comparables', I'll happily list 5 or 6 cars from the last six months that I feel were more desirable deals. Just let me know.

Andy - love the color of this coupe BTW... One thing that Chris didn't mention but can surely validate - I think the forum taught me that the 2.5CS had fixed rear windows. I have a set of regulators with questionable sardine motors that I can pull from my parts car if you think you will want the rear windows down in subsequent summers. I'm not sure if the glass is different but I have the glass also. There is also a gentleman named Alex up in Canada that likely has a set as well (producer of Outlaw E9 videos on YouTube - member George Briggs here). Anyway if you think you want to make the swap then he or I or anyone else could ship the parts to Canada before the car leaves. Should save you $100+ on shipping.

Andy the aussie

Reaction score
Rear windows..... yes windows down is an option i want, transmission shifter console definately shows two rocker switches.....
Wind up fronts and electric rears ? Is that possible ?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rear windows..... yes windows down is an option i want, transmission shifter console definately shows two rocker switches.....
Wind up fronts and electric rears ? Is that possible ?

Ahh cool - didn't think to check the photos! That's a plus - one less thing to worry about. Of course the windows will be frozen no matter what. :D

Some info from the forum. Interesting to learn about fully loaded 2.5's.

Servus!

Congrats to one of the most rare E9s. BMW only built 600 of the 2.5 CS with manual gearbox and 244 with automatic.

The VIN range is the following:

2.5 CS: 4305001-4305600
2,5 CS(A): 4315001-4315244

Production period: 4/74-12/75

To answer your question: no, it's not a usual combination in a 2,5 CS.

The default factory settings for a 2.5 CS was with fixed rear windows, smaller tool kit, steel rims, plysch seats, foam padded steering wheel. Remember that the 2.5 CS was an "oil crises version" of the E9.

However, as there are (as always for the E9 cars) variations, I think it's was possible to order all the normal E9 options to a 2.5 CS. For instance, I have a very early 2.5 CS and it's loaded (from factory) with electric sunroof, 4x power windows, normal "turbine-style" rims, radio etc. I also know 2.5 CS cars with Klimaanlage/AC and leather seats (should be with horizontal pleats).

In the official 2.5 CS sales leaflet (8/74), it says:

"Apart from the following, all other technical data corresponds to that of the BMW 3.0 CS.

Foam padded steering wheel
fixed rear side windows
no lock on glove department
modified tool kit and luggage compartment fittings
rear bumper without overrider"

As always, try to establish, via the VIN, if it's a really late car. As the 2.5 CS was produced very late during the E9 era, it's fully possible that BMW used the E9 parts that was "available for the day".

MfG