The Great Blue Cloth Debate

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tool List 9-74.jpg
The inclusion of the blue cloth in the toolbox has been debated here many times and I believe can now be determined with certainty. I recently bought a Blue Binder with BMW Service Bulletins which covers all models in the mid 70s. I have attached a Service Bulletin that lists all components of the large toolkits beginning in September 1974. It was at this time that the blue cloth was added I believe in the one piece toolboxes.

The Orange Parts book (XI/75) shows it in the toolbox but shows it is not applicable to US models but the last few US coupes may have received them. It also shows as applicable for the euro coupes with this same toolbox.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
What a great present to yourself (and the forum ;))! Thanks for sharing!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris the binder is blue but it does not say the cloth is blue :).

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The only item in this list that is different on 9/74 from earlier lists is the cloth. Arde, cloths were blue (cars) and grey/white with red stripe for motorad, no other options. ;)

restart, can't believe I didn't read your August post which had this SB.

restart

Reaction score
Curious why there are there no spark plugs listed? I found a few Service letters regarding different spark plug recommendations and thought maybe they couldn't decide which plug to list so didn't list any??

Arde, yu really have the theme going....all red fuses? :)

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
View attachment 22265 The inclusion of the blue cloth in the toolbox has been debated here many times and I believe can now be determined with certainty. I recently bought a Blue Binder with BMW Service Bulletins which covers all models in the mid 70s. I have attached a Service Bulletin that lists all components of the large toolkits beginning in September 1974. It was at this time that the blue cloth was added I believe in the one piece toolboxes.

The Orange Parts book (XI/75) shows it in the toolbox but shows it is not applicable to US models but the last few US coupes may have received them. It also shows as applicable for the euro coupes with this same toolbox.
I recently purchased a blue cloth which is stamped and never used. It has two stains where it was folded into the tool tray,which I believe will wash out. If anyone would like to see a photo of the cloth please PM me your Cell.
Thanks
Koopman

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Probably from one of those EMWs the Soviets made. Is there a small hammer and sickle on the corner???

Nope, the corner marking reads CCCP.
Probably means Car Care Cloth Perfection.
Or alternately Cuidado Camaradas Con Putin.

restart

Reaction score
just for grinz,
here is a pic from 74 brochure,
cloth section(which probably had a cloth in it) is covered with card

pic from 76 has empty cloth section.
e3_1976_en_12-1.JPG e3_1974_en2_17.JPG

lsquaredb

Reaction score
My 1970 car never had a blue cloth. I was there when my dad bought it. What it did have was a big metal can of ATF that filled the larger compartment of the tool bin on the floor.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
restart - aren't both of those pages for an e3? The seat belt attachment pix are one clue - along with the back seats and rear doors!! - Ha.

I don't think any e9 ever had that type reel/fastening for the front seat passengers. I've owned '71, 73, and 74 e9's and '70, and 76 e3's. The '76 had that type seat belt as I recall.

Last edited:

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
View attachment 22265 The inclusion of the blue cloth in the toolbox has been debated here many times and I believe can now be determined with certainty. I recently bought a Blue Binder with BMW Service Bulletins which covkind to me.
Thanks
Koopmaners all models in the mid 70s. I have attached a Service Bulletin that lists all components of the large toolkits beginning in September 1974. It was at this time that the blue cloth was added I believe in the one piece toolboxes.

The Orange Parts book (XI/75) shows it in the toolbox but shows it is not applicable to US models but the last few US coupes may have recei.ved them. It also shows as applicable for the euro coupes with this same toolbox.
Hi Chris;
Do you have one? I am waiting for one that is new sight unseen. That will be my second and not sure if I want to get involved in selling to members and end up with hard feelings from members who have been so kind to me.
Koopman