Monterey 2017 - East and Southern interest?

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, we now have 3 separate issues on highway 1. Chris, we may consider another drop point north of San Francisco and take highway 1 south, or some other scenic longer drive off 101. Chris Macha or others, open to suggestions for an epic drive to Monterey for Ohmes and I. We want to book our flights this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmackro

Reaction score
.... open to suggestions for an epic drive to Monterey for Ohmes and I. We want to book our flights this weekend.

The closure of Hwy 1 through Big Sur shouldn't change your Monterey plans. There are lots of interesting ways to approach Monterey from the south, coming off 101. If you need a fix of rural, windy roads, you might consider taking Carmel Valley Road from 101 to Coast Hwy.

In my opinion, Big Sur can be kind of a pain in the summer - too many motorhomes!

Hope no one was killed.

Caltrans probably has no idea. Unless someone is reported missing, the evidence won't show up for a long time, if ever. Don't know what time of day the slide occurred; if at night, probability of fatality is low.

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, we now have 3 separate issues on highway 1. Chris, we may consider another drop point north of San Francisco and take highway 1 south, or some other scenic longer drive off 101. Chris Macha or others, open to suggestions for an epic drive to Monterey for Ohmes and I. We want to book our flights this weekend.

You might consider starting in Reno and taking the scenic route over the Sierras, then across the valley to Half Moon Bay on the coast, then down Highway 1 to Monterey.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Heard there was a previous landslide being cleared and the excavation equipment was moved before this big one. No one hurt or equipment lost.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Highly recommend the Naciamento-Ferguson Highway if it's open. Route 9 from Saratoga to Santa Cruz and vice versa is one of my favorites.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Change of plans -- we will start in the SF Bay area now. Chris and I met last weekend and agreed to start there the previous weekend (August 13) and drive down via Half Moon Bay past Santa Cruz. It's not as many miles but we will technically undertake highway one and maybe stop for some world famous artichoke soup at Duarte's in Pescadero and take our time the rest of the way south. Any folks interested in joining us from the Bay Area or up north for the drive down on Monday? Sven could probably bike down to Monterey from there! Why Monday? Chris, Peter and I will be entering our steads in the Tuesday Carmel Concours...too much fun and I missed it last year with the voltage regulator issue on my alternator (I know have a spare, btw, plus other things I have picked up with past roadside issues). And our spare room is now being put aside for Don Lawrence, our guest of supreme fun and technical mastery. I'm sure we will consume no wine that week...